I'm using a Thompson Centre Omega, absolutely no complaints, shoots well, handles up to 150gr of 777 and knocks deer and moose down hard.
Frankly, I'm not sure why it's considered a primitive hunting method.
Well, it's not really 'primitive', is it? Rather like giving an African Bushman a Bowtech 80# compound bow to shoot isn't actually 'primitive' any more. True, the modern bow has limbs and a string and you still hold it approximately in the middle, but that's about it.
As for the in-line muzzleloader -
1. It's made of materials that are not in the least bit primitive.
2. It's made, well, most of them are made, to look like a regular b/a rifle that is not primitive.
3. It uses #209 shotgun primers - how primitive is that?
4. They are usually scoped - primitive? Hah.
I can tell you how many there are here in UK, as well, where we do a lot of deer and feral hog shooting - on account the romans killed all the bears a while back.
There are, according to the sole importer that I was talking to at the biggy shooting show last February, just three. We have well north of a million deer shooters who live here, and a goodly number who just come over to shoot every year, too. They don't bring them with them, I can tell you. Much of the deer-shooting in GB takes place in Scotland, and no muzzleloaders are used because of two little problems -
1. They don't make the combination velocity and muzzle energy requirements for Scotland.
2. It's really hard to sneak up on a wary stag in a countryside that looks like Suffield AB.
tac