Interest in high quality European muzzleloaders

Brian James

Regular
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Location
Ontario
For the sake of discussion, I wonder if anyone else has given thought to ordering high quality muzzleloaders from Europe. I'm referring to makers such as Tilo Dedinski, Andreas Baumkircher or Hege Arms?

I've been fortunate to handle firearms from these manufactures, if only momentarily, and the quality is outstanding.

Part of me wouldn't be surprised if several posts appear from owners in Canada. If so please share with us your experiences and impressions.

Thanks

Brian
 
I suspect that at least a few of us are reluctant to pay the price for guns in that category. I would almost hesitate to shoot one if I did buy one, for fear of marring the finish. I am sure they are worth the price but it is more a question of how much do I want to tie up in a high quality gun that I would take to rendezvous and shoot on trail walks under a wide range of weather conditions.

cheers mooncoon
 
A couple of years back I got to shoot a Billingshurst underhammer pistol in .36cal. Bearing in mind the waiting list, and that it cost as much, even then, as a kitted-out Tikka T3 rifle, I handed it back to the lucky owner. Unless money actually has no meaning to you, then such beautiful guns as these will remain an interest only to the truly dedicated, of which there is no doubt, there are sufficient to make the builder happy.

One gentleman I often read about on another forum makes museum-quality replications of late 15th and 16th C wheellock pistols and rifles, not only for the museum trade, but for people of discernment and hefty bank balances. It's nice to see one of these beautiful guns in action, but the price is horrifying, even given that he lives in Eastern Europe. As he points out, hand-crafting a perfect replica of a gun that was hand-made can only be done one way to be authentic - hence the $25-30K cost of even a pistol.

All of my collection of nineteen more modern guns, which includes rifles of the 1860s, wouldn't cost me a quarter of that.

tac
 
I agree these high end pistols aren't cheap, but for a custom/handmade gun the price seems to be on the good side. With that said, I haven't ordered one either. This week I'm at a shooting competition and hope to handle a Hege and Baumkircher revolvers and will provide some feedback.

On a side note, Marstar has a pair of Pedersoli LePage for over 4000$.

Brian
 
Back
Top Bottom