interested in antiques

djmay71

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
EE Expired
Rating - 87.5%
7   1   0
Location
Eastern Ontario
when i first became interested in firearms (about 2 years ago) my father told me a story about my grandfather, who had used a Thompson 1928A1 (it took him some time to remember it) when he fought in WWII.

anyways, seeing as the 1928A1 is a submachine, it would be a prohibited device correct? I did read the info on the RCMP website but I honestly didn't understand a whole lot. anyways, i'm interested in owning a replica (or something similar if the exact firearm can't be owned/found) of the firearm, to commemorate my grandfather. can anyone help me here, or at least point me in the right direction?
 
The Thompson is specifically prohibited by name. A dressed up 10-22 is about as close as you can get aside of something decommisioned.

Also WWII is about 40 years to recent for anything to fall into "antique status" as its defined.
 
The Thompson is specifically prohibited by name. A dressed up 10-22 is about as close as you can get aside of something decommisioned.

Also WWII is about 40 years to recent for anything to fall into "antique status" as its defined.

thanks- what about an M1 Garand? the only reason I ask was because my grandfather (my mothers side) had one, and it was found underneath a foot of cement in her basement about 5 years- sadly it was destroyed....
 
Garands are A-ok, looking at $650 for the cheapest I've seen in 3 years and averaging $900.

Just FYI - antique guns were generally made/used pre 1900, so this section might not give the best results for your questions. If you ask a mod to move it to the milsurp forum you might do better.
 
I had the pleasure years ago of handling a Thompson,complete with the drum mag.
I was doing some custom work for a local gun shop at the time and they had it in the vault.
Dang heavy iron that.
 
"A dressed up 10-22 is about as close as you can get aside of something decommisioned."

Are those kits actaully legal in canada? wouldn't that be a variant? if so where can I get one?
 
"A dressed up 10-22 is about as close as you can get aside of something decommisioned."

Are those kits actaully legal in canada? wouldn't that be a variant? if so where can I get one?

Variants are guns that are built off of the same design. Dressing up a 10/22 to look like a thompson keeps the 10/22 design, so it's just a dressed up 10/22.


There was a company that was making quite nice kits in Canada maybe a year or two ago, but it seems to have gone silent? Search "thompson kits" or similar and you might find it.
 
There are still a few fully automatic weapons stashed around Canada. I heard a story last year from a guy who knew a guy who still has a FULLY OPERATIONAL Lewis gun in his possession. Seems his grandfather was a fisherman turned liquor smuggler in the 1920's here in New Brunswick. The Lewis gun was used to persuade hijackers on the high seas that they should go away.
 
i'd like to thank everyone for their helpfulness, (even though I put it in the wrong section!) and esp. tokguy, who PMed me about a Thompson being sold in the EE. Sadly, I don't have the cash to sink into that right now, but whoever said "dress up a 10/22" got my methaphoricall gears turning! thanks!
 
"...made/used pre 1900..." 1898 or earlier.
Choppers aren't antiques. Closest you can get is a dewat.
M1 Rifles are sort of readily available. Pricey, in decent condition, these days though. Once you shoot an M1, all other milsurps become less than adequate. There's just something about an M1 that no other rifle has.
"...still a few fully automatic weapons..." More than you'd think. I know all kinds of guys who have had the permits for eons. Pre-1978 when getting the prohibited permit was no big deal. Sad part is that when they die off, their kids cannot inherit 'em.
Know one guy who has a BAR that was made for the civilian market back in the 20's. Friggin' thing has a very high end burly walnut stock and the old style rich S&W bluing. Including the mags. It's a work of art. Same guy has a Chopper that has never been fired too. Forget which model.
 
i've search around online and i've only found one company that has the M1928A1 Thompson kit for the 10/22, but they don't export out of the states...
 
The Auto Ordance made replica in 22 lr is Prohib, status, as I had a chance to buy it, but sadly could not!

If you want a Thompson 1928A1 deact, give me a buzz. dale Z!
 
thanks- what about an M1 Garand? the only reason I ask was because my grandfather (my mothers side) had one, and it was found underneath a foot of cement in her basement about 5 years- sadly it was destroyed....

f:P:2:

Grandpa must've been spinning in his grave (I assume he had passed away, otherwise he probably wouldn't have allowed this to take place)... I hope he comes back and haunts the living hell out of whoever sent his M1 to the chopper/smelter. I'd be well deserved! :evil:

What a waste of a truly historic firearm. One of the greatest rifles of all time...

:(


P.S. M1 Garands are non-restricted and are the ONLY semi autos exempt from the 5-round magazine limit in Canada, because they don't have a magazine and rely on another feeding mechanism that's similar, but not quite the same (stripper clips). That alone makes it a very desirable rifle, let alone the historic value of an M1 Garand to any WWII collector.

I have two wartime Springfield M1's complete with correct GI bayonets... but unfortunately I ain't selling them, so please don't even bother to ask. Wartime examples are getting as rare as hen's teeth these days... which causes the prices to constantly go up (I paid $350 a piece for my M1's something like 8 years ago and could easily triple my money today). So, the destruction of that M1 probably cost your family close to a grand (if you were to sell the gun instead on today's market). In other words, don't forget to congratulate the anti-gunner in your family for that 'strategic' decision!

:rolleyes:
 
Last edited:
f:P:2:

Grandpa must've been spinning in his grave (I assume he had passed away, otherwise he probably wouldn't have allowed this to take place)... I hope he comes back and haunts the living hell out of whoever sent his M1 to the chopper/smelter. I'd be well deserved! :evil:

What a waste of a truly historic firearm. One of the greatest rifles of all time...

:(


P.S. M1 Garands are non-restricted and are the ONLY semi autos exempt from the 5-round magazine limit in Canada, because they don't have a magazine and rely on another feeding mechanism that's similar, but not quite the same (stripper clips). That alone makes it a very desirable rifle, let alone the historic value of an M1 Garand to any WWII collector.

I have two wartime Springfield M1's complete with correct GI bayonets... but unfortunately I ain't selling them, so please don't even bother to ask. Wartime examples are getting as rare as hen's teeth these days... which causes the prices to constantly go up (I paid $350 a piece for my M1's something like 8 years ago and could easily triple my money today). So, the destruction of that M1 probably cost your family close to a grand (if you were to sell the gun instead on today's market). In other words, don't forget to congratulate the anti-gunner in your family for that 'strategic' decision!

:rolleyes:
thanks for the info! i think you just turned me into an antique firearm collector!
as for that M1 found in the basement- I doubt even the best gunsmith could've gotten it back into working order- I vaguely remember concrete down the entire barrell.
 
thanks for the info! i think you just turned me into an antique firearm collector!
as for that M1 found in the basement- I doubt even the best gunsmith could've gotten it back into working order- I vaguely remember concrete down the entire barrell.

Barrels can be swapped out... but it is curious that someone would cement a rifle without any protection. It seems like wrapping it in a bunch of plastic bags or plastic film and ducktaping the whole thing would've made a lot more sense. :confused:

Very weird... but I am sure that even a parts gun would've brought you a few hundred bucks. And by the way... this forum is reserved for the true "antique" guns, which are defined primarily (in the law) as being firearms manufactured prior to 1898. If you want to become a WWII rifle collector (which aren't antiques by definition), I suggest that you ask any questions you may have in the "milsurp" section here:

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=75

(you're going to get much more replies there)

;)
 
Back
Top Bottom