Interesting conversation with CFC today

tactical870

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
136   0   0
I just got off the phone with the CFC. I was doing a non restricted transfer and asked about deregistering a prohib if the caliber had been changed (as per my other thread). The woman said no problem but then went on to tell me that I must have antique letters for all my antique firearms. When I said that I wasn't aware of any legal requirement, she avoided answering but told me I must also call in whenever I buy another antique and have the gun "transferred" and a new antique letter issued to me..... WTF?????
 
This is something they would like I have no doubt probably the RCMP trying to make policy.But I can see nothing in the factsheets that would indicate any changes .probably just a uneducated person.
 
I wonder if it was a new person who is still a little unclear on antique requirements. There is no mention whatsoever in the law that an antique letter is required and specific mention that it does not need to be registered. You do not need an antique letter despite what she said. You only need to be able to show that the article qualifies according to the law. There are any number of different ways to accomplish that.
 
No doubt this is an attempt to create an unofficial registry of who has what antique - just in case the rules get changed.....

And it becomes necessary to collect them.....
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiriaq
No doubt this is an attempt to create an unofficial registry of who has what antique - just in case the rules get changed.....

And it becomes necessary to collect them.....


Yeah, I'd bet good money on that !

You would win that bet. The RCMP has tried to maintain an unofficial registry of antiques since day one of the F.A. ALL the records of de-registration are saved, as are records pertaining to the original owner. You can double up on your bet and add that pressure will be put on the initial owner of an antique demanding to know where it went if and when it is deemed necessary. If that person owns conventional (registrable) firearms the pressure could become intense.
 
No doubt this is an attempt to create an unofficial registry of who has what antique - just in case the rules get changed.....

And it becomes necessary to collect them.....

I only have 2 antiques with letters.... And neither letter was issued to me.... And of course my latest project will be deregistered before I can get it as it is currently 12/6 and that letter won't be in my name either..... :D
 
WELL spoke to a Tech. at the firearms center today no changes you do not need a antique status paper to own sell give away an antique firearm nor do you have to inform them of the sale of an antique firearm they do suggest that you give a copy of the letter to the buyer and keep one for your record. though if you buy a antique that was registered and still in the system only the person who its registered to can de-register it as they are responsible for the registration .I feel the person 870 talked to just didnot understand the antique laws that well .
 
I have have registered my flintlock long rifle when swapped it to caplock, then de-registered it back into flintlock. Did that a number of times, they still had the old registration on file :rolleyes: what a surprise ? Not !
Have you ever asked for a copy of all of your reg. certs. ? From my personal experience they were'nt accurate , surprise, surprise.
It would be interesting to say the least, if you could have a look at your file .
Cheers nessy
 
All the more reason NOT to get any antique letters. What good are they? Why get them? Is it just so you can ask more money when selling? DON'T GET ANTIQUE STATUS LETTERS!!!

Ditto. I will never get anymore, I make my own up now, there is a thread with examples in it. I am not giving a shopping list to the RCMP of my antiques so they can come and take them when they change the laws.
 
It's quite typical of the RCMP to mislead you about legal requirements. They are not required to give you accurate info regarding the law. they will make their own policy and tell you it is a "requirement' and leave it for you to discover (or not) that it is not a mandatory legal requirement.

On the other hand if you give misleading or incorrect information to the RCMP you could be charged with obstruction.

Now more than ever, it is very very very important to know what is legal and what is not. Do not expect a police service would always give you accurate legal advice.
 
What i dont get is the way things are now and the RCMP Decided to come collect the Antiques i "have" they could all be legally gone!
As i dont have to give a reason why i sold one or whom i gave one to.


As far as theses strange statements from CFC Only talk to the Tecs at the RCMP not just any one of the ladys that answers the phones if you want the facts guys talk to the TECs.
 
What i dont get is the way things are now and the RCMP Decided to come collect the Antiques i "have" they could all be legally gone!
As i dont have to give a reason why i sold one or whom i gave one to.


As far as theses strange statements from CFC Only talk to the Tecs at the RCMP not just any one of the ladys that answers the phones if you want the facts guys talk to the TECs.


That's exactly where my information comes from.
 
You can under the Privacy Act. Similar process to an Access to Information request - you can request for a copy of any personal information they have on you.

Yup, I did it and the only three antiques I ever got letters for were at the top of the file within the first few pages. Serial number, make, model, caliber all listed like the rest of my registered modern guns.

Like dingus says I don't even own them anymore, and one I actually never owned and never entered the country as the seller sold it to someone else. The info is kind of useless but I could see guys pressured into remembering who they sold them too.
 
As far as theses strange statements from CFC Only talk to the Tecs at the RCMP not just any one of the ladys that answers the phones if you want the facts guys talk to the TECs.

Could be part of my problem. I said I needed to speak to a tech after I was done my transfers and the woman asked what about..... Oh well, at least I got the answer I needed....
 
but I could see guys pressured into remembering who they sold them too.

like with what thumb screws and testicle electrodes? I can't even remember who I sold my last antique to let alone the first one. What exactly do you think you could be threatened with or promised to make you remember something you have no need of remembering? IIRC no promise can help you no threat can harm you when it comes to participating in an investigation.
 
Back
Top Bottom