Interesting india pattern 'bess' variation

wr.sainsbury

Regular
Super GunNutz
Rating - 99.5%
181   1   0
Location
vancouver island
Greetings-I have an original 1796 pattern Bess-39" bbl, dogbone forend, LONDON scribed on top of bbl, TOWER lock-6 3/4" long. Probably 1 of the 3000 issued in 1807 to the Canadian militia as it had a long history in the Niagara region. I recently acquired a similar piece except- lock is made by CLARK and top of bbl is scribed LONDON I W YORK M. Lock plate is however only 5 7/8 long not 6 3/4. All proof marks are the same and bbl is also 39" Trigger guard on this one is only 3 1/4 " long vs the 10" of the first piece. Is this possibly a civilian purchased piece in "sporting configuration" or not? Any thoughts or discussion appreciated. Cheers
 
Quite possibly right as an officers piece. Would use the same charge and round ball as regular issue, the lock is a better finish so probably better ignition and the "dogbone" on the fore end would still be useful in deflecting a saber slash. Sure wish these things could talk!
 
Back
Top Bottom