Interesting shotgun

tiriaq

Super Moderator
Moderating Team
Rating - 100%
252   0   0
At the Switzers Auction, I purchased a 12 bore breechloading hammer gun.
On the lockplates is engraved J Digonnet, Arq(ier) and a Lyon. Jules Digonnet was a gunsmith in Lyon, France until 1892.
It is a quality gun, with sculptured breech, double underlugs with hidden third fastener. Cage bridles, sears pivot on pins, not screws.
About 50% fine engraving coverage.
Apart from being fitted with sling swivels (a European feature) the gun is very much English styled.
Odd thing is that the only proofs are British. No French proofs whatsoever.
So I am wondering if it might not be an English gun retailed in France.
Ideas?
 
I believe Digonnet was a manufacturer? Anything made in France should have been proof marked there but is it possible it was shipped to England with the intention of having The British proof it? Could it be that, even then, they were avoiding taxes by having it proofed elsewhere? ####, where are the photos? Dave
 
According to the bit of research that I have done on Digonnet, he was an arquebusier, a gunsmith. Found photos of a nice pinfire double, and a strange early breechloader with his name on it. I think he was probably a retailer as well. Don't know why it does not have French proofs.
I'll take some photos.
It is a very nice gun; apart from the name and swivels it appears to be an English gun. Bores have shine with some pits. Shoots well. Damascus, of course. Attractive pattern, although faded.
 
No. The gun has obviously been used. The locks and frame show traces of colour case hardening, the checkering shows wear. If the barrels only were refinished, the age would really stand out on the rest of the gun.
 
Back
Top Bottom