Interesting Wickliffe 76

tula

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
I just picked up an interesting Wickliffe 76 in 45-70, it's not a deluxe and it's not a standard model, the standard and I think the deluxe didn't come with sights they actually were setup for mounting a scope, both came in 24 and 26inch barrels and 11 calibers from .22mag to 45-70, the traditional model came with regular rifle sights. This one has me miffed it has a longer barrel (I'll k ow the exact length when it arrives Thursday) looks to be 28 or 30inches and it has a tang sight. Just wondering if it's possible someone's done a full custom build on it.
 
Not sure except they're in the same strength rating as the ruger no1 rifles. I'm only planning to use blackpowder. Going to stick to the load the guy I got it from has worked out, .459 bullet over a .020 wad over 68grs of cartridge blackpowder with a cci large rifle primer, he was getting a 1inch group at 100yds and Hiting his mark out at 400yds so it's a shooter. Most of them were.
 
Ruger No1...that's full bore level 3, so she'd be able to take more than my regular 45/70s ( H&R Handi,Buffalo and of course the Marlins 1895) which can take end level 2,shooting jacketed remington 405 grainers at 1950fps with 44.5 to 45 grs IMR 4198...
I like the shape and design of the Wickliffe ( I admit,I had to google it ) ,where to find and how much would one set me back...the regular Scope only would work for me...
CG
 
They only made 2400 of them between 1976 and 1980 before going belly up because of poor management. The rifles were a hit and are extremely high quality.
 
There are actually 3 runs the first run from the original tool co ,the second run with parts bought from the receivership sale and he did not make any receivers just used existing(not well documented how many )and the third from parts from the second runs estate sale which are like the old ones and they are making new receivers with and without tangs .
This is from the last manufactures site and what I read from different forms so don't hold me responsible for parroting what was posted
Cheers Peter
 
Twice it was attempted to revive the company and those two times they folded having hardly built any rifles, last people to try built a few as custom orders.. I'll know better by the end of the week about mine it's definitely different so maybe it was one of those custom built ones.
 
Twice it was attempted to revive the company and those two times they folded having hardly built any rifles, last people to try built a few as custom orders.. I'll know better by the end of the week about mine it's definitely different so maybe it was one of those custom built ones.

For a while, the two guys that each were pretty convinced they each had the 'sole rights' to the name, had a running battle that coursed it's way across several different gun forums, to the extent that the mere mention of the Wickliffe name was unwelcome, as it inevitably drew in both of the guys and degenerated from there.

I suspect that the only sure thing you can say about one, is "Mine has...". They offered some custom stuff from the outset, and a lot of them were bought simply to get the action.

Cheers
Trev
 
This one is definitely a custom one. The standard barrels they were sold with were 24-26 inch this barrel is 30 1/2 and stamped
45-70 Wickliffe it's fitted with a tang sight as well which wasn't one of the standard setups along with a hooded globe front sight. And the butt stock isn't the standard one most of them I've seen come standard with a cheek rest this one doesn't have that. Fascinating I'm curious as to what its story is.
 
Back
Top Bottom