I inherited my dad's 1977 Euroarms of America .50 Hawken rifle (made in Italy by Invest Arms, same as Cabela's and Lyman's Hawkens rifles) and I am getting very frustrated with it. I'm about to abandon BP altogether if I get another stuck ball.
The hammer is off center of the nipple. Apparently this is a common problem. My dad claims to have NEVER had any problems with this gun. He always kept it clean and washed after every use. No rust or pitting in the barrel at all. I, on the other hand, have had nothing but misfires with this thing. First off, the percussion caps only go off 1 in 3 tries. I had old CVA caps, bought new ones thinking that was the problem. CCI #11 Magnum caps still same problem.
When the caps DO go off, I get the occasional misfire. I had a click-bang once (heard the cap go, fraction of a second later the black powder ignited). But twice now I've had a complete mis fire, 10 or so caps go off and nothing. Out comes the worm screws. Woops! Brass end came off inside the barrel. Off to the welding shop to get a nipple welded to air hose fitting.
I think maybe I'm not "rapping" the gun enough to settle the powder down. Is it a good idea to pack it down with the rod before inserting patch and ball? What can I do about the off center hammer, short of heating it and bending it a bit? I've taken out the mechanism and everything seems to fit nice and tight.
The hammer is off center of the nipple. Apparently this is a common problem. My dad claims to have NEVER had any problems with this gun. He always kept it clean and washed after every use. No rust or pitting in the barrel at all. I, on the other hand, have had nothing but misfires with this thing. First off, the percussion caps only go off 1 in 3 tries. I had old CVA caps, bought new ones thinking that was the problem. CCI #11 Magnum caps still same problem.
When the caps DO go off, I get the occasional misfire. I had a click-bang once (heard the cap go, fraction of a second later the black powder ignited). But twice now I've had a complete mis fire, 10 or so caps go off and nothing. Out comes the worm screws. Woops! Brass end came off inside the barrel. Off to the welding shop to get a nipple welded to air hose fitting.
I think maybe I'm not "rapping" the gun enough to settle the powder down. Is it a good idea to pack it down with the rod before inserting patch and ball? What can I do about the off center hammer, short of heating it and bending it a bit? I've taken out the mechanism and everything seems to fit nice and tight.


















































