IPSC - help me choose a handgun

Hello! I have had my RPAL for 4 months. Purchased a Ruger Mark IV to practice, have been shooting very regularly; the next step is to take a black badge course this fall. Question to all experts here: what would be the best 9mm handgun for someone like me? My budget is $2-3k. Long term commitment, something I can enjoy as my skills improve.
I carry my FN510 more than any other handgun I own. They make a 9mm as well.

Wow, I should have read the whole thread before commenting. I wouldn't have even bothered. How do uou guys even have time to shoot? You should be busy at the ballot boxes.
 
Sorry I don't know anyone that runs a Beretta or Sig. Even Slavex moved to CZ from Beretta. Sigs don't fit everyone hands, the DA normally makes you have to change grip to reach. Also it written like AI. CZ Shadow got good recoil management because they lower the bore axis.

Sig I found had the most flip, as they got the tallest slide and top heavy.

Glock, SA XDM or CZ 75 Shadow or Shadow 2 would be the choices Id choose.

Esp if you are limited in club matches.

I started with Glocks and 1911s, then moved to CZ.
Dad started with Sig, then switch to XD and back to Glock.

If I knew what I knew now. 20 years ago, Id started with CZ. Spent alot of money trying to find the best.

Haha fair points! I promise I'm all human, yup just checked. I just prefer clean spacing so the new guy doesn't have to squint at a massive wall of text.

You're totally right about the physics of the stock CZ bore axis vs a standard factory Sig. That inverted slide on the Shadow 2 keeps the weight low, which is exactly why it owns the IPSC Production meta right now. If Slavex made the jump, you know the data doesn't lie.

That said, you can tune that muzzle flip out of the P226 while keeping it entirely legal for Production Optics. On my own setup, I run the factory Sig Pro-Cut optic slide. Shaving down that top-heavy reciprocating weight through the window cuts flattens out the cycling tracking completely. Throw on a set of thin Hogue G10 Piranha grips, and it entirely fixes that factory double-action reach problem too. Because it's a factory Sig slide and doesn't use a barrel compensator, it stays 100% compliant for Production Optics without bumping you into Open Class against full race guns.

I am by far no master shooter, and many have more experience, just sharing my thoughts.

J2002, your best bet is to just ask your Quebec facility to let you physically hold a CZ Shadow 2 and a Glock side-by-side before you sign any paperwork. Your hand size and natural grip angle will tell you instantly which one is the winner for you.
 
I still wouldn't pick a Sig over a CZ for comp. Don't get me wrong, Sigs are great police, military and target guns. But not really the best competition gun.
 
I paid for the gun, the title got transferred to my gun range. It is for my exclusive usage, although I get everyone’s point - I did not personally purchase it. My apologies for not explaining it.
Is this a common practice? I'm looking at getting into IPSC pistol and shotgun myself. Currently, I'm looking into long term borrow through our CFO. However, this sounds like it could be better if you consistently use your pistol at a particular range for training and competitions.
 
What did you end up getting? It is tough to source a CZ Shadow 2 in Canada these days. I just ordered an Sig P211 GT5 through my gun club. It’s worth taking a look. Lots of hype on YouTube about the P211 GTO but the compensator would put you in the open division.

Also a glock 34 or 17 would be perfectly fine for IPSC. Just put a new trigger in it 100%. Maybe a new barrel.
 
Back
Top Bottom