Is 45-70 ammo hard to find?

There are factory rounds made for the modern 45/70 rifles. It is loaded to what I call stout recoil. I bought a box of 20 - 305 grain Winchester 45/70 rounds for $43 at UFA in Falher AB.
So to answer your question yes it is available. But oh what a kick. My reloads are powder puff in comparison.
I shoot a Marlin 1895 CB in 45/70 and a H&R Buffalo Classic 45/70. I would say that the 45/70 is one of the easiest to reload of all the reloading I do.
Polish case, lube & resize, clean off lube & reprime, Flare case & scoop in powder, seat bullet. Go shooting.
 
There are two commecial loads available. The long time standard one is I think 405 grain bullet and intended to not harm any rifle (in good repair) including the antique ones. The other kind is called Leverution or something similar and uses a 300 grain bullet at much higher velocity. I think it is intended only for modern strong actions and I would be hesitant to use it in say a trapdoor springfield. I suspect the pressures are higher but don't know that for a fact

cheers mooncoon
 
I have been using the Hornady LeverEvolution 325gr, which have shot very well out of my Marlin. I got a good deal on them a couple years ago so I still have a box or two left, so I have not yet reloaded for this rifle, though I do have the Hornady FTX bullets from Hornady when I am ready to start making my own LE ammo.

As for availability, around here I did have to do a little search to find some.
 
The 45/70 is a dream come true for reloaders, making your own should save you 50-75% over factory loads and you can load as heavy or as light as you want. Cast bullets can save you alot on reloading as well.
 
"...wondering about ammo availability..." Where you are matters, but .45-70 ammo is pretty much everywhere. So is brass. Despite old predictions of the cartridge's demise for the last 50 plus years.
 
But oh what a kick. My reloads are powder puff in comparison.

I thought it was the othe way around. Sure I can make stuff wimpier than factory..but factory ammo is pretty dam tame as its meant for 100+year old trap door sprinfields. Try pusing 405gr. bullet to 2000fps.....now that is a kick :D

As for the orginal question...in my part of the world its no longer on the shelf so Id have to say it could be hard to find depending on where you live.
 
Call EPP's for 100 new brass and one of the low cost LEE loading set up's and your set for life.
Until you start into looking at casting your own...:redface:
 
Call EPP's for 100 new brass and one of the low cost LEE loading set up's and your set for life.
Until you start into looking at casting your own...:redface:

I got the Lee hand loader for my 45-70. I am happy as a clam, especially since space is at a premium in the apartment.:D
 
If you shoot a 45-70 you really should reload to get the most out of the gun. Berry's makes a plated bullet that is cheap enough for plinking but I don't know if it would stay together passing through a moose or something.

Your location is none of my business but if you can find a friend with a press you can load up 200 rounds in a couple of hours.
 
The thing about the 45-70 is that even if it occasionally gets tough to find ammo, or reloading parts, it's definitely worth it to own one anyway.
 
Back
Top Bottom