Is Blackpowder worth the investment?

41 Colt

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
307   0   0
Location
BC
I can only get Blackpowder by ordering 25lbs and having it shipped. I am considering it, but would it be worth the $600-$700 investment over the substitute 777, which is easier to obtain and in smaller quantities?

When I shot 777 in my Colt SAA I thought it was awesome (refering to the smoke and flash mainly), I would assume real BP is more awesome? :D
 
It depends on your values. Personally I have no desire to ever use 777 or other substitutes. I assume you should with some sort of group and might want to consider splitting an order with one to three others.
In my case I shoot mostly rifles and some shotgun and go through 5 - 10 lbs of black per year so 25 lbs would be roughly 3 or 4 years supply

cheers mooncoon
 
I buy most of my powder at reenactments in paper cartridge form and that feeds my hobby most of the year. "break down the cartridges and load martini and snider brass and fill my horn for my flintlocks"

Aside from bags of pre rolled paper cartridges, I have maybe 2.5 tins of Goex at any given time.

I mostly shoot my flintlock smoothies, so substitutes are useless to me unless I use duplex loads......I dislike doing that!

Since I started shooting my Martini and snider cadet I have for a moment considered subs.....But its no less expensive then black powder and seems to be a bit harder to ignite "and damned useless in a flintlock", so I really see no reason.
 
Back
Top Bottom