Is it just me or are BP load data for .410 hard to find?

Polar_Hunter

Regular
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I recently acquired what I believe to be, a "Bannerman" M 71 to .410 conversion. I can't seem to find anything definitive on loading Black Powder shell for it. Can I use a square load?
 
That should work. What case length does the gun use? You might be limited to a rather light shot charge.
I have a M91 MN converted to a single shot .410 shotgun. Have yet to get it into firing condition.
 
yeah, in my BP handbook I can only find 10g, 12g, 16g and 20g data in 2 3/4 " hulls. nothing on .410g. My guess would be similar to 45 colt BP data, but what do I know?
 
Standard load for 2 1/2" cases is 1/2 oz of shot and for 3" cases it is 3/4 oz. Load equal volumes of shot and powder with whatever wad column gives you good solid crimps. I would use FFFg but I am sure FFg would work too.
 
Ol' Flinter has you on the right track. Adjust from there.

Don't use plastic wads or shot cups if you weren't ready aware. Cleaning the melted mess out of the barrel is not worth the trouble.
 
My Hodgdon Data Manual 25th edition, page 508 has black powder loads for a .410.

For a 2 1/2" shell - 7/16 oz of shot, 27 grs of FFFg. 1063 fps,
 
Back
Top Bottom