Is old ammo safe to use??

Milli-Benelli

Member
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Location
S-W Ontario
I inherited a Winchester 1894 in 38-55, manufactured in 1901, and 5 "brand new" boxes of ammo. By brand new I mean new, unopened, complete boxes of 20 shells purchased in the late 60's or ealry 70's.

I would love to try this gun out this spring but my question is: Is the ammo safe to use? I don't know if the shells would have corroded or deteriorated over time and pose a hazard

Thanks in advance. I did attempt a search in the forums and didn't have any luck, sorry if i missed something.

cheers
 
The SKS is built like a tank and can eat anything. 109 year old levers... I like that welding helmet idea though I wouldn't be that afraid to try...

Jeff
 
I shot some .303 from 1917 a while back in my Pattern 14...only one hang fire in the bunch. :D

Click!...
...
...
...BANG! :eek: :D
 
I would love to try this gun out this spring but my question is: Is the ammo safe to use? I don't know if the shells would have corroded or deteriorated over time and pose a hazard

I am the official "old ammo disposer" for all of Canada. Send it all to me and I will rid you of all that pesky stuff!!:p
 
Old ammo?

I refer to ammo from the 60s and 70s as new ammo!
I have Winchester 45-70 sporting ammo from the 30s, or maybe even some of it from the late 20s.
It shoots just fine.
 
Funny, I was gonna post the same question.
I just came into posession of a Ljungman AG42b that lived in a friends dads cabin for well over a decade and he gave it to me with a few boxes of 6.5x55. Guess ill have to have at er this weekend!
 
When I had my lever .45-70 (mfg in 1888) I had some old ammo that had partially corroded cases, and it fired them off no problem!

I've read that there can be issues with old ammo that has spent a lot of time on the move, in that the powder grinds itself into a fine dust and burns faster than it was designed to.
 
Funny, I was gonna post the same question.
I just came into posession of a Ljungman AG42b that lived in a friends dads cabin for well over a decade and he gave it to me with a few boxes of 6.5x55. Guess ill have to have at er this weekend!

Good news is everything I have read tells me the Swedes didn't use corrosive ammo. Congrats on the rifle! :)
 
Back
Top Bottom