Is old ammo safe to use??

The worst that could happen, is that the brass will split and you will loose velocity,
if you get a dud; wait at least 10 seconds for a hang fire, before opening the breech.
But with 60's ammo, you should have no problems.

deadeyejack
 
I've read that there can be issues with old ammo that has spent a lot of time on the move, in that the powder grinds itself into a fine dust and burns faster than it was designed to.

This issue is real.
All (or at least military) ammo and powders get tested for KMs of travel (vibro-simulated). Don't remember the details, but it's not very much.
Rotate your truck gun's ammo every 10,000 km for safety and consistency!

s>
 
my dad just sent me some boxes of 30-06 - when I opened the box I saw my name in the box, written by me... in crayon ! I shot all 60 of them on friday just to empty the brass... they were all over the place, and stunk like hell - one hell of a muzzle flash too ;)
 
Back
Top Bottom