Is something like this avaliable in Canada?

Not legal to ship by mail or air, which makes an international order challenging.

Get a friend travelling by car to the States to pick some up for you.
Not ITAR-controlled, thank goodness.
 
It's not even listed on the BassPro website....other stuff yes.

Not listed at Cabela's either.

HOWEVER...A fellow once told me that the old timers used to use horse urine to brown their metal....I have no access to a horse, nor can I figure out how to convince the horse to dispense the product..:p
 
Look up DIY rust bluing on line; if you don't boil the metal and just card, repeat - it works to brown. WAY slower than Plum Brown or LMF which is wonderful stuff.

I've tried this guy's recipe. If you do your part it works (take the space out the "H ttp"):

h ttp://www.theakforum.net/forums/75-refinishing-discussion/157230-my-slow-rust-bluing-experiment.html

Try it on a scrap piece of the steel you want to brown first, make sure the colour is to your liking
 
There is a similar product made by Laurel Forge. I think i orderd it from Track of the Wolf

Last time I tried TOTW wouldn't ship LMF. They aren't displaying it on their site now, but they still show Plum Brown and Track's own "Browning Reagent" (probably LMF?). None can be exported (by TOTW) outside the USA.

h ttp://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/1022/1
 
Birchwood Caseys products are distributed by Bell Canada. I think if you tried a local store and asked them to see if they can order some through them. I know because I was working in a local hunting/fishing store about a year ago. They listed Truoil and bluing solution on Bell Canada's website but i cant recall seeing the plum brown.
 
Got a link to Bell? All that comes up on the Google is that portable phone company.

Tru Oil shows up even on Home Hardware's website leading me to believe the export restriction is due to some chemical. Amazon also says they won't ship plum brown to Canada.
 
I have a book on bluing. i will take a look through it and see if there is a simple concoction you can make up.

With this shortage, as I say above I've been using this guy's formula. It does work. In a nutshell it's a hydrogen peroxide/vinegar/salt mixture:

h ttp://www.theakforum.net/forums/75-refinishing-discussion/157230-my-slow-rust-bluing-experiment.html

Takes time of course, and if you don't have good humidity you'll need to build a sweat box but it works. I find good metal prep is more critical with that method than with the commercial solutions.

That said, if you find alternative solutions - I am all ears!
 
Back
Top Bottom