is the "0.40" S&W, a dead or dying caliber?

Is the .40 S&W, a dead or dying caliber?


  • Total voters
    194
  • Poll closed .
"...99% of the Police services use this round..." That may be a bit high, but likely not far off. Lots of PD's issue 9mm's.
Either way, the .40 S&W is here to stay. Killed the .41 AE stone dead too. The rat SOB.
 
.40S&W is a pretty nice round. I shoot a lot of it in bulk through my 10mm guns. Much nicer than reloading 1000pcs of soft 10mm just to shoot it.

So what does the .40 headspace against since it is shorter in a 10mm chamber? Is this recommended?
 
originly wanted that 10m...

originly wanted that 10m to keep the tavor company on the way to the range...
The powerful 10 mm Auto cartridge, which had been suffering from poor acceptance ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnum_Research_Baby_Eagle

http://3.bp.########.com/_Yfm_ESqqoyU/SaoYDfGRbGI/AAAAAAAAAbY/B6gbqUKXfbE/S220/CARTRIDGES.jpg
http://the10mmautoisaliveandwell.########.com/

357Sig10mm40sw.jpg


L to R - .357 Sig, 10mm, .40 S&W

Diameter doesn't always mean everything, it's the amount of powder behind it, too.

http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgu...ox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&sa=G&um=1
 
.40 can be fired in 10mm revolvers (s&w 610), the moonclips maintain the headspace from the rear of the cylinder.

I don't think it is possible to fire a .40 in a 10mm pistol.


Edited to add: I was wrong... sorry about that...
 
Last edited:
I have different barrels to shoot .40. Sorry for any confusion... The S&W 610 is the only gun I know of that will shoot both interchangeably.
 
Back
Top Bottom