Is there an antique revolver...?

I believe that the RCMP policy is that if the revolver was registered in Canada in a <list> caliber, they will not deregister it, if the caliber is changed.
 
Look in the EE there's a .36 manhatten arms percussion revolver they're super easy to fix if anything breaks as well and you can learn to roll your own nitrated paper cartridges. I wouldn't think twice about using that one as a regular shooter.

I am tempted to buy that revolver as my first foray in BP. What would I need to buy to get me started? and where to buy? 375" balls? black powder or substitute? what size caps?

Also, how to push balls in without the lever assembly?
 
cap and ball are fun ,but dirty LOl.Here is one I had the front end changed on and shoots pretty good and is an antique .I found the idea of a second cylinder sure speeds up reloading
 
Last edited:
Use blackpowder, ffg or fffg try #11 caps try the bullet barn they're online or buy a mold, lee makes good molds. Make a little loading rod out of a piece of brass rod.its the perfect starter gun and a real gem.

QUOTE=The Kurgan;13157583]I am tempted to buy that revolver as my first foray in BP. What would I need to buy to get me started? and where to buy? 375" balls? black powder or substitute? what size caps?

Also, how to push balls in without the lever assembly?[/QUOTE]
 
there is one change the rcmp has made recently ( about 1.5 years ago )

if the original hand gun was chambered in a round specifically listed as not being about to have antique status , it can never have antique status , regardless of the new round it is rechambered / rebareled to .

an example is a original 45 colt gun reworked so it is now 44 russian .

I think you may mean that they only have a internal new policy and now will not de-register currently register old guns if you change the calibre and issue you a RCMP letter as such.

A RCMP letter is not required by law to make a pre-1897 qualifying firearm antique status in Canada, some people just like having the RCMP letter as some form of reassurance.

By Canadian law as is currently written a non registered but converted one would be still a antique revolver and you may even still have a old RCMP letter from before that says that as well.

There are many hundreds if not thousands of converted calibre antique guns in Canada that are still antique even if they originated as a listed no go calibre.

For example, people still buy non restricted status old single shot Swedish 8x56mm rolling block rifles and then convert them to larger calibre's like 45-70 which makes them now antique status by law without even having to involve the RCMP.
 
To be more specific, I'm looking for an antique revolver that uses brass cartridges, that I can reload on my press, and that is robust.

I'm looking for a discussion on the merits of a webley mk? Vs a SAA vs ? Something else?

Probably the best deal going out there in regards to strength, reliability, availability, cost and spare parts would be a 11mm French M1873. They are just as strong as a antique Colt SAA, just as reliable (very reliable in fact), far more available as there were about 400,000 of them made (including civilian versions) that are all pre 1897 and antique status, they cost about one fifth of a similar condition Colt SAA (or about one third of a nice Webley) and there is a company in France still making new parts for them and will ship to Canada.

The French made use of them right up until the end of WW2.

Reloading for them is easy with cut down 44-40 brass and .452 soft lead bullets or you can get one of the many converted to .455 Webley or .45 ACP.

If you get one converted to accept .45 ACP, do not shoot modern .45 acp ammo in it under any circumstance, stick to low pressure handloads at about 11,000 psi max using soft lead bullets instead.
 
Back
Top Bottom