Is there no demand for LH muzzle loaders?

Claven2

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
417   0   2
Location
Onterrible
I find it very odd. I'm trying to either sell or trade a Lyman Great Plains LH percussion rifle with a patched round ball 1:60 twist in the EE. You would think there is a demand for these as they are among the nicer factory-assembled Hawken copies and Lyman no longer makes a PRB 1:60 in LH, only the faster twist sabot rifles.

That being said, I've not had a single trade offer, not sales offers, no pm's, nothing. You'd think that during ML season lead up at least one LH shooter would be looking for something to hunt with...?

So my question is, what are the LH guys doing? Just shooting RH models and relying on shooting glasses? Or has everyone but me switched to inlines? I had thought to trade this one for an inline to see what all the fuss was about as all my other ML's are either period originals or hand-made modern repros of originals. The Lyman is/was my only commercial ML.

Which begs another question - why have the provinces all allowed modern inlines to propagate when they are essentially modern rifles with modern optics and in most cases outperform guns like .30-30 lever actions. The original intent of a primitive season was for guys to use side lock muzzle loaders. It makes ZERO sense to me that a Guy can use a TC Omega with a Leupold 2-7 on it firing .50 sabots with more performance than a .30-30, while an iron-sighted 1863 Sharps rifle BP breech loader (paper cartridges or loose powder) is not allowed.
 
In my area I know of only two hold outs, everyone else has gone to the inlines. I have a very nice .54 Trade rifle that shoots great, but in the poor light I have trouble seeing the sights. I have been shooting traditional style muzzleloaders for 25 years. Half way through this season I broke down and got a Traditions Buckstalker. I really like being able to see better, but the performance of the rifle is not much better than a .535 round ball. The greatest thing about the new rifle besides the scope, is the ease of cleaning, and you can see it is clean, not like a traditional style muzzleloader.
 
I totally do not get the modern inline muzzle loader phenomenon.

As a lefty I am not comfortable shooting either a caplock and especially a flinter with the lock on the wrong side. I had to have my flintlock Jeager custom built because at the time left hand flinters were really hard to find.
 
My father builds some custom rifles and has done a fair number of LH because they are so hard to find. I'm really surprised that you haven't had more interest.

As far as the inline thing, whatever floats your boat is fine by me but when it comes to a "primitive" season they really need to draw the line somewhere. People are out with what are basically 375win or 45-70's that have had the breach plugged. There is nothing primitive at all about any of it and I see it as a going to extreme ends to circumvent the entire philosophy of a primivite season.

There are US states that specify things such as round ball only, flinter or older lock technology, and fixed open sights. I'd be all in favour of any of this though its a hair more restrictive than I would go if I were to draft the rules myself.
 
Check the US auctions. I am thinking no one wants to offer you the low ball price you'd need to compete with. They (italian guns) come out of the eastern US at a couple hundred tops. Brand new condition they just wont sell at even 275.

At the 'new' in canada price point a guy can watch track of the wolf and get a 100 times the custom rifle for the same money.

Offer up a left hand flinter and see how fast it sells. I'll take any LH flintlocks you got.
 
I was under the impression it was not easy to order a percussion gun from the US - am I mistaken?

Besides, I'm offering up trades for any break action inline. Some of those start at under $200...?

When I ordered the gun new here in canada (It came form North Sylva), it was nearly $700...
 
700 plus tx - 200 dollar US price= 500

It aint 500 dollars difficult to import a non restricted firearm.
IIRC you can get it done by a site advertiser for under 200.
 
I'm not asking $700 for it though - that's just what I paid...?

And last I heard, the importers had dramatically upped their import prices. The State Dept want more $, it seems. Of course, on volume imports, it's less of a factor.

Also, I have yet to see ANY Lyman Great Plain LH rifle in RB twist for anything like $200 used... Deerstalkers yes, but not GPR's...?

Edit: Just checked and the cheapest PRB (1:60) version of the GPR on gun broker is $450 and has bids. It's a RH model as well, not LH.
 
450 is pretty steep considering new at TOtW they are 500 and change. The cabelas version is 350

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categ...atId=12&subId=114&styleId=380&partNum=AAK-013

Here is one in the box that the seller got tired of listing for 395.

If you look at the local and state classified ads down south they really do go for 150 or 200. Times are tough, tough tough, tough. You are probably right on the increase in import fees. It has been some time since I looked. None of this is of consequence though cause like you say you aint trying to get 7 bills out of it and border/CFC hassles can eat up a bit of savings quick. I was 'nt trying to illustrate low value I am just trying to illustrate a general lack of interest which you have already discovered. Maybe the guys who are into 'traditional style rifles are more likely to opt for a non italian gun while the guys who are not that traditional head straight for the inlines?? The rabid 'traditionalist are pretty snotty about these things.

What you have is great rifle IMHO the quality of these italians guns is fantastic and they shoot like a lazer. For all the disrespect they get I have never heard anyone complain about accuracy or them breaking. Fit is always great , they balance and point like a dream, bluing is 100X better then 99 percent of commercial modern guns and machining is always perfect. On the couple I have shot the triggers are great and the locks are bullet proof.



If I was you I'd happily keep it and be glad to have it. They really are a heck of a lot more gun then some of the inlines out there. I love my LH 50 cal flintlock deerstalker (BNIB in 160 USD) no matter how I stuff the ball down there and no matter what load I shoot it will clover leaf RB for at least a dozen shots. They are a Lyman product pretty hard to find a Lyman product that is not top notch.

IIRC you built a LH trade gun? You could just sell that to me and use the funds to get the very best inline, a few years worth of saboots, pyrodex, 25 acp cartridges and a new scope. LOL
 
Last edited:
I am a lefty and have the same rifle as you are selling in flintlock. While I would not consider a right handed flinter I have no problem shooting a right handed percussion rifle. While That is a nice rifle that you are selling, I believe that there are not many traditional shooters out there. Unfortunately that tends to drive the prices down
 
Back
Top Bottom