Is this a normal requirement for Antique status letter??

detonator

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I contacted the RCMP for an Antique status letter on an antique firearm back in October, and I was told to provide the following information:

Antique Requests must including the following information prior to our unit authorizing a letter declaring the legal class of "Antique" to firearms:

1) Make
2) Model
3) Serial number
4) Calibre configuration
5) Firearm license number (FAC), if you have one
6) Full Mailing address, if no FAC
7) Indicate how you wish to receive the letter, via email or regular post

I provided this information, and was told about a month ago that the I would be receiving an antique status letter shortly from the department that issues them. I received an email from that department today and they are now telling me that "an Application to Register" must be submitted before the registry will issue any documentation purporting a firearm to be declared "antique".

I've never heard this before. Is this something new? Do I really have to do this or are they just trying to make sure the firearm gets registered if it is not deemed to be an "antique"?

I look forward to your responses on this.
 
They did say they would fast-track the application because of the information I've already given them and the verification and confirmation already given by the Firearm Technical group. I just want to know if an "application to Register" is something new to the antique firearm application process.
 
It's internal policy that started 2013. As a PAL holder you now have to register and if found antique it will be de-registered, if not found antique it's permanently in the registry. There was a fellow on here that got an antique Colt SAA (about the easiest thing to prove) stuck in the registry.

Where as non PAL holders apply via email and get the letter via the pre-2013 system.

Yay two tiered system based off of internal policy :rolleyes:.
 
Wait, if someone just has a non-restricted PAL, how can they register a handgun to that individual?

This also raises the question of wanting to purchase a gun and asking for a letter to ensure it has antique status before purchase, but it's not yet in my possession...

It sounds like an antique gun registration scheme to me... All the more reason not to get a letter...?

It's internal policy that started 2013. As a PAL holder you now have to register and if found antique it will be de-registered, if not found antique it's permanently in the registry. There was a fellow on here that got an antique Colt SAA (about the easiest thing to prove) stuck in the registry.

Where as non PAL holders apply via email and get the letter via the pre-2013 system.

Yay two tiered system based off of internal policy :rolleyes:.
 
This is why I don't bother with them and came up with my own, you can search for it here available as a downloadable .PDF. I think someone else also has made up their own letter too.
 
Wait, if someone just has a non-restricted PAL, how can they register a handgun to that individual?

This also raises the question of wanting to purchase a gun and asking for a letter to ensure it has antique status before purchase, but it's not yet in my possession...

It sounds like an antique gun registration scheme to me... All the more reason not to get a letter...?

You also can't register firearms that only have antique FRTs. For example try registering a Webley MkI. They won't do it (can't do it). So what then?
 
You make an application online to register and then they cancel the application and send you the letter. Officially it's not a "registry" but they keep the information you give them on your PAL record forever. They want to know who to visit if/when the antique regulations change and some or all of them become restricted. It is an unofficial registry.
 
It strikes me that if a dozen guys see something they like on GunBroker and apply for a letter on it 'just in case', the usefulness of their sorta registry becomes less and less, doesn't it?

There is no requirement to have the firearm in hand, in order that a letter be sought for it, is there?

Cheers
Trev
 
I hope not, years ago I got a letter for a S&W 1st model DA that I picked up private from a fella in the US. He wouldn't ship it without "authorization" so I got it lettered and sent him the paper to put in the box.
That was the first time they asked for my PAL and the last letter I applied for.
Silly rules.
 
why not just lie and say "no" when they ask if you have a pal? I doubt their left hand talks to their right hand...

afaik lying to the police is a crime...

I prefer not to lie in any circumstance, not just when the chance of getting caught is low.

lying to THEM could lead to serious trouble and is pointless when there are better, LEGAL alternatives.

like an unlicensed friend...
 
Yep...this is exactly why I didn't buy a revolver out o9f the States when the seller clamed that he would only ship it with the RCMP letter. The seller claimed it was a "legal requirement" Complete crap
 
Back
Top Bottom