Is this a Remington 1867?

ArmedGinger

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
88   0   2
Location
BC
A lady came into the store today and asked about selling a gun that has been passed down in her family. I believe it's a model 1867 Remington. She stated it was used in the Sudan and from some of the engravings into the rifle I would say that sort of sounds correct. The condition on the outside is pretty rough sadly, mechanically is in good shape (cocks and clicks beautifully). The rifling appears to be really nice although a little worn towards the crown.

There were many of these made and I told her it is really worth about $500. Was that a good estimate? Also what else can someone tell me about it?

I snapped a few pictures with my phone since the store was busy at the time.

vTtKh1b.jpg

GuwJZRm.jpg

pbpe39C.jpg

S21Lqjp.jpg
 
I would say $500 is about right though I'm no expert on individual models. Can't see from the picture if it's got a full military stock. Action alone should be $250-300 to some one for a project.
It could be slightly more if it's something special or in a common caliber with a good bore. Probably 43 Mauser or 11mm?
 
Yeah, a Model 1871-73 Egyptian rolling Block rifle made by Remington between 1871 and 1876 in a propriety cartridge - .43 Egyptian.

Not a 1867 model as the tang patent date is showing 1868.

These are one of the early malleable iron made Remington rolling blocks using their black powder No.1 action and are not to be trusted as a good action to building a new rifle on. The much better ones are the Argentine No.1 ones from the late 1880's to early 1890's which by then Remington were building from low carbon steel or one of the 1870's Swedish made Rolling Blocks No.1's which also were made from Swedish steel instead of malleable iron.

The best ones to build a new rifle on are the No.5 action ones built for smokeless powder cartridges with a thicker receiver and made in the 1900's like the 7x57mm 1910 model as they can handle most reasonable mid pressure smokeless cartridges used for hunting.

A complete, fully functional black powder M1871-73 in very good condition with a decent bore is worth about $500-$600 tops. A rough condition or non complete or fully functional one with a poor black powder pitted bore is worth about $300-$350 tops.
 
I would lean towards $350 - $400 locally and depending on the bore

if you are not worried about preserving its original configuration you could set the barrel back about 1 1/4" and chamber it for a proprietory cartridge based on the 45-70 shell necked down. That assumes you have a metal lathe and could / would also make loading dies and probably a forming die and a mold. Make chambering and sizing die reamers from drill rod turned into D bits

cheers mooncoon
 
Last edited:
Has full wood and it has a good bore.

People seem to think though that every antique rifle is worth thousands.
 
Back when I bought a storage locker and found a gun in it, one of the other things I found was a .43 Egyptian round
 
Back
Top Bottom