Is this BPCR build do-able?

guninhand

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
Location
East Coast
Hi folks. A shooting pal of mine wants to take a Farmingdale Sharps barrel in 45-110, re-configure it to 45-70, and put it on a Snider action. He'll be handing it over to a gunsmith for metal work. Just wondering if there might be any kind of insurmountable problem,(incompatable dimensions?) or difficult problem, with this plan. I ask because I'm supplying the barrel, but don't really want to part with it if the project is a no-go from the start for some reason. I'm sure my friend would like to know as well. He talks like it's straightforward, and I hope it is.
 
If the barrel is going to be shortened at the breech, what would the diameter be where the barrel would be threaded? A Snider barrel is 14tpi, about 1" in diameter. Have a barrel, will check it tomorrow.

Is a Snider adequate for .45-70?
 
tiriaq, the replacement barrel is not on hand at the moment, coming back to me from a rebuild of my own, and I know nothing of Snider specs.
 
OK. I'll check the Snider barrel I have, so at least you will have that information.
I suspect that a .45-70-500 cartridge would generate somewhat more pressure than an original Snider cartridge. A Snider action is not a strong one, probably less than a Trapdoor Springfield.
 
I would also be very hesitant to use a Snider action for a 45-70. It seems like an accident waiting to happen. Barrel diameter less of a problem because you could use a bushing, if necessary, to increase the diameter of the donor barrel. Also how deep is the rifling in the Farmingdale barrel; I owned a Farmingdale 45-110 rifle for a while but the rifling was only 1.5 or 2 thousands deep and the gun would only shoot paper patched bullets accurately. If my memory is correct, the groove diameter was only about .452" and definitely much smaller than .458

cheers mooncoon
 
Is the Snider action long enough For a 45-70 ?I think you will find except for very short blunt nosed bullets that the snider action is too short to feed decent sized 45-70 cartridges as in overall length .
 
Back
Top Bottom