Is this brass worth saving to reload???

Just a bit of a caveat. If anyone is planning on drilling out the center of the pocket for easy decapping, Don't Do It.

By adding a center hole, you are weakening the base, probably not a real concern, but you are also increasing the amount of flame going into the powder column. This will increase pressures to what may be dangerous levels by igniting more powder, at a faster rate than is safe. Those primere pocket holes work as metering valves. Opening them up or adding more is like cutting the top off a milk jug so you can pour faster.
 
Just a bit of a caveat. If anyone is planning on drilling out the center of the pocket for easy decapping, Don't Do It.

By adding a center hole, you are weakening the base, probably not a real concern, but you are also increasing the amount of flame going into the powder column. This will increase pressures to what may be dangerous levels by igniting more powder, at a faster rate than is safe. Those primere pocket holes work as metering valves. Opening them up or adding more is like cutting the top off a milk jug so you can pour faster.

I've been experamenting with converting some gp11 7.5x55mm brass. once the primer cup has been removed, I've sanwiched the anvil between 2 punches. the soft brass seems to flow quite nicely, and the old flash holes are filled in with the material from the anvil. then its a simple matter of drilling in a new centered flash hole and swaging the primer pocket in about
.002 of an inch to match the size of the boxer primers. I have yet to load and test fire, but I have a successful prototype in my pocket right now!

needless to say, I'm quite hopeful.
 
Back
Top Bottom