Isaac Fox Canterbury 12 gauge?

birdman86

Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Location
Calgary
Just bought one of these at auction. It's got a cracked stock but otherwise ok shape for an antique, I just wanted to hang on the wall. When I picked it up the auctioneer told me somebody came in after the sale and really wanted it ("face lit up when he heard it was a canterbury") so he gave me the guys info. Anybody know anything about these? Very little information online that I can find, and the gun has no markings on it besides decorative engravings. I'm open to selling it but curious what its worth, if its desirable, etc.

Picture:
x54Yugm.jpg
 
Isaac Fox bought the gunmaking business of James Adsett at 4 Upper Bridge Street, Canterbury, Kent in about 1900, and later expanded into 5 Upper Bridge Street. At some time Cecil Fox took over the business, changing the name to C Fox, and in 1926 the business was sold to Harold S Greenfield. That is about as much as is known of Isaac Fox, gunmaker. Perhaps the person interested in the gun already has another Isaac Fox, or is interested in the history of James Adsett, a gunmaker of much greater renown, who started the Upper Bridge Street business in 1868. Or it is someone interested in the 20 or so gunmakers that have had businesses in Canterbury in the last 250 years... Collectors can have pretty specific areas of interest, I am proof of that, so anything is possible!
 
it looks to me to have a home made butt stock on it. I am basing that one the shape of the pistol grip and wrist area. Puzzling why the person would want it so badly

cheers mooncoon
 
From what we can see, it is in very poor condition with a badly replaced butt stock, so...no, its not desirable.
Value - what ever someone will pay for a decorator piece, which is what you say that you wanted.
 
Sweet thanks all (especially pinfire! great little history lesson), basically what I figured. My theory is the guy probably has an original stock and wants to add it to his collection. Will give him a call.

Cheers,
 
Back
Top Bottom