Issues understanding antique classifications

DougPeach

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I was watching Hell On Wheels tonight on pvr and got it into my head that I should buy a cap and ball revolver.

Luckily for me, my google fu revealed the very model revolver used by the main character in the show is available for purchase and quite affordable, the Colt Army 1860.

Now I have been trying to figure out the legalities behind antique revolvers and it's making my head hurt.

The original pistol was manufactured before 1889 so should be an antique, what about the newly made pietta models?

Because they are the original design made by colt, do they count? Or should they be restricted?

They are chambered in .44 and that calibre according to the flow chart here on CGN means it is a no rpal required firearm.

The wording on the RCMP website is confusing me this late at night so I was just hopeing someone could put it into layman's terms and, if possible, point me at a sponsor from which I could buy powder and balls from. (I am on a blackberry and cannot see sponsor links at the top)


** I am kinda holding out that this firearm would be antique classified if produced by pietta as I stumbled accross the stickt here saying you could open carry a such classified device hunting or camping!!!! **
 
Repro handguns are restricted or prohibited.
Handguns made before 1898 are antique unless they use cartridges on "the list|".
 
I somehow got it in my head that I wanted an 1851 Colt Navy and didn't know what the laws are so I e-mailed the RCMP and they told me the modern reproductions are restricted so I ordered a Uberti 1851 Navy from a dealer and then got my RPAL. My RPAL showed up before the 1851 so I bought a Browning Buckmark .22 so that I could practice shooting.
I now have five 1851's,three rifles and a dozen or so other handguns....it all started with a cap and ball.
 
Yea, my first restricted buy was a pt-92 from a fellow CGNer on here but a revolver has always been on the list.

The cap and ball model that my favorite tv show character uses is a good buy, the price tag is great and I can put on a cowboy hat and pretend I am a gunslinger at the range! (Just kidding, but iit will be happening in my head for sure)

Anyone help me with my second question? Where do people normally buy caps, powder and balls to shoot?
 
a true antique ball and cap of this model will set me back 2 grand... Restricted it is!

I think there was a 44 cal antique Colt on the EE for $1200 a few days ago. If you are buying a restricted gun, you will have to be a member of a fish and game club and that club will probably have a black powder section. They would be able to point you in the right direction. If none in Abblotsford, I know there are a number of black powder shooters in Chiliwack

cheers mooncoon
 
You're right mooncoon.
There's definately one at ridgedale, but apparently abby fish and game has more fun events! Kind of the problem I've been having, decisions decisions. I joined silvercore for now to get my LTATT, once that is approved I will have to make a choice, unless there is a black powder club at abby I am unaware of.

I saw that add, and I am worried that it's out of my price range when the Restricted non antique brand new one is 299 at marstar.

My lady is usually pretty good about me spending my own money but I got eyes bigger than my wallet, next 3 purchases if I get what I want will put me at around 3,500$ (ar-15, cap and ball antique, kel-tec su-16)

I think I'll drop the ar, settle for a restricted cap n ball and keep the keltec on the list :)

Buying my memberships to NFA and CSSA this paycheque and I'll decide on my range membership when my pt-92 is in hand.
 
I was watching Hell On Wheels tonight on pvr and got it into my head that I should buy a cap and ball revolver.

Luckily for me, my google fu revealed the very model revolver used by the main character in the show is available for purchase and quite affordable, the Colt Army 1860.


IMFDB sorta failed in updating the firearms used in Hell On Wheels :redface: , because there's no mention of the Swede's shotgun or of any of the lever-actiion rifles used.....:(


In any event, the main character switched to a Remington 1858 just recently :D , b/c there was a scene in which he was able to "swap out" his revolver's cylinder far-quicker than his foe could manage with a Colt......:nest:


Pale Rider ;) , anyone ?
 
I've been bitten lately by the BP bug too. Last fall it was a howdah pistol and a flintlock blunderbuss. I'm in the middle of purchasing a ss ROA. (finally after three failed attempts!) Just have not yet found a reproduction Hawken rifle that I want. I very well might import a Browning Mountain Rifle from the USA.

I'm also one of those men who stare at Colts. :D
 
The Griswold and Gunnison was effectively a copy of the 1851 Colt and that meant it was .36-calibre .....:redface:....the Union managed to get the newer 1860 Colt which came in the much-demanded .44-calibre......:yingyang:


The British didn't like the "puny" .36 and so chose the double-action Adams revolver in the "more manly" .442.....:D.....especially when the mechanism of that revolver meant you had the option firing in either double or single-action after Lieutenant F.E.B. Beaumont tinkered with the design a bit......:wave:


Sure the Beaumont-Adams had 5 cylinders compared to the Colt 1851's six cylinders....but the Colt was only single-action, and if you realize that a .442 lead ball is basically a .45 while the .36 lead ball is basically a .38 ;) , you'll realize the whole "9mm vs. .45 ACP" debate goes back a long ways away !
 
Last edited:
The griswold and gunnison according to imfdb is also ONLY pictured during some like 20 seconds of the first episode.

after that every time you see his gun.... it's a colt 1860 or the one that can replace chambers as cyclone said :)
 
The griswold and gunnison according to imfdb is also ONLY pictured during some like 20 seconds of the first episode.

after that every time you see his gun.... it's a colt 1860 or the one that can replace chambers as cyclone said :)


I actually just joined IMFDB so that I could contribute to the Hell On Wheels page....:redface:.....I'll try to update it with details about the Swede's shotgun "beauty" from Season 1 :yingyang: , as well as those lever-actions we often see (are they genuine Henry rifles, or are they mock-ups with the side-loading-gate?)......:D.....


As for the "cylinder quick-change" ;)......


[youtube]M3rj89cqQQ8[/youtube]
 
If you got the video above of that scene please post url so I can re-watch on my Blackberry!

Just for clarification, which firearm is used in that scene? As much as I want to play big mean ol' confederate turned decent but tough railman, I think quick reloads (having multiple loaded cylanders) would be mucho fun-o.
 
Back
Top Bottom