It's rather sad....

cyclone

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
379   0   0
Location
Toronto, Ontario
....that in the U.S., a "repro" match-lock, flintlock and cap & ball revolver are all considered antique-status firearms :yingyang: , but in Canada they'd be considered "restricted"......:wave:
 
I really want a Uberti 1849 Pocket Colt reproduction with a 4 inch barrel ....PROHIBITED ... but I can buy an original antique with no licence or any other paperwork...:bangHead:
 
I'v been consulting with Garry Breitkreuz, I think he agrees that it is ridiculous but hes also a very busy man.

I really do think we need to make a push to have logical antique firearm laws.

Identical to the U.S. would be much better, why the hell not?. I realise some want it to be 100 years old and variable but I don't think that has a snowballs chance in hell due to colt 1911's ect. becomming available without even a PAL.

Don't get me wrong, I would love that system but its not realistic.
 
Yep, so many of our gun laws simply are NOT RATIONAL. To NOT be against the majority of them would make you an irrational person by definition. And because irrational people should not own guns, it is our RESPONSIBILITY as rational people to fight these same laws!:confused::eek:
 
Yeah at the very least a repro flintlock pistol should be antique just like a repro flintlock rifle. I mean really are these such a danger to society that we need to class them as restricted? It is a bit crazy. The US Antique laws are very nice and it would be a wonderful day if we had them here.
 
Yeah at the very least a repro flintlock pistol should be antique just like a repro flintlock rifle. I mean really are these such a danger to society that we need to class them as restricted? It is a bit crazy. The US Antique laws are very nice and it would be a wonderful day if we had them here.

Yeah,

We're already half way to the U.S. antique laws, there is no justification not to put us on par with theirs.

Not only will it have no detrimental effect on public safety but it will make it easier and safer for collectors to buy and trade with each other across borders.

Currently, you must be very careful. 130 year old revolver in the states that is antique status is a prohibited firearm here, just because its .38 colt instead of .38 rimfire.

It's ridiculous.
 
Last edited:
Far as I'm concerned we should all be using the antique dealers' definition: if it's 100 years old, it's an antique.

Gangstas don't want our old guns; they want modern plastic things.

Free our old guns to age gracefully and get the respect they deserve. And don't worry about the plastic ones; by the time they are "antiques" they all will have fallen apart from UV action on the plastic!
.
 
I'd love to get a chance to buy some of those less expensive Smith and Wesson .32s and .38s from the U.S.

What would it take to change the regs? An OIC, or new legislation?

As far as antiques go, there are currently two classes - prescribed antiques, and deemed antiques.

If antique status is defined by regulation, the OIC process could be used to amend it; it the deifinition is in the law, then an amendment would be necessary.

Catch is, if an OIC can be used to broaden the definition of antique, it could also be used to restrict it.
 
The conditions for an antique can be changed through an OIC. However one of us has misinformation about OICs. It is my understanding that once an OIC is made it becomes part of the legislation and needs legislation to repeal it. For example the Conservatives could not de-prohibit the AK through an OIC(it they wanted to) they would need to introduce legislation to repeal it even though it cam into existence as an OIC.

As far as antiques go, there are currently two classes - prescribed antiques, and deemed antiques.

If antique status is defined by regulation, the OIC process could be used to amend it; it the deifinition is in the law, then an amendment would be necessary.

Catch is, if an OIC can be used to broaden the definition of antique, it could also be used to restrict it.
 
There were OiCs which were incorprated into legislation, and therefore require legislation for change.
Then there are regulations established by OiCs which can be ammended by another OiC. OiCs are the standard method for giving regulations force of law.
Read the actual law and regulations defining antique status.
 
Back
Top Bottom