IVI .308 168gr BTHP Match

diver488

Member
Rating - 100%
249   0   0
Hey nutters,

If anyone knows anything about the following ammo I would be more than happy to know the specs.

IVI .308 Win 168gr BTHP Match

Thanks
 
IVI match ammo

It does exist....

Its a 168gr Sierra bullet and it chrono's at just over 2600 fps out of a 24 inch barrel.

As for powder.... no idea... when I was talking to the techs... all they would tell me is its a special cannister grade not available to the public.

The bullet is also crimped... maybe why its not as accurate as I hoped it would be. Primer is sealed with a red sealant.

It was suppose to be a contender for the new ammo trials to replace the standard issue Norma ammo thats being currently used. Its also not official issue with DND.

IMG_3573.jpg


IMG_3574.jpg



COAL = 2.791 inches

IMG_3576.jpg



Boat tail bullet with black sealant and slight crimp.

IMG_3578.jpg


Tubular stick powder weighing 39.9 grains.

IMG_3577.jpg
 
.308 168 gr. boat tail bullets

When I shot hi power silhouette matches, I used a handload utilizing the .308 cal. Hornady 168gr. BT National Match bullets..superbly accurate out to the 500 meter rams...
 
The Sierra 168 was designed for short range - 300 yards. The 175 has a longer boattail and works well to about 1100 yards in a 308.

That bullet does not look like a Sierra. Can you compare it to a Sierra? Look at the boattails.
 
'08 on the box, and '05 on the headstamp. I also see a nice sealant on the primers, almost like Lake City Match.

The 168gr was optimize for 300m target shooting. The 175 is a more modern bullet, and as noted is better for long shots. I can only suspect there is a professional prejudice for a known performer at the most likely engagement distances.
 
A couple of summers ago, there was a team from R22R at NSCC. They were competing with C3A1 rifles, shooting Norma ammunition. Some were keyholing at 700m, more at 800m. It was painful.
 
.308 Match

So to clarify, the main reason I brought this post up is because during a range practice the other day I did in fact recieve many of these boxes of .308 Win BTHP 168GR from my ammo NCO.

I had never seen it before, only Norma. From Combat Trg Center Infantry School, Sniper cell late yesterday, Norma has been replaced with IVI produced .308 Match...hmm who knew.
 
Hmmm, it would be interesting to see some of this tested for overall consistancy to see how it stacks up against stuff like Federal Gold medal, Norma, etc. Ie: case volumes & weights, powder charges, velocity spread.

Also, if that ain't a Sierra, it must be it's long lost twin brother. Those bullets are identical, other than the grove.
 
Back
Top Bottom