J Egan Shotgun

stevejones

Regular
Rating - 100%
82   0   1
Location
Courtenay, BC
I came across this shotgun the other day and I can find no information in any of my books. It says J Egan. Barrels are damascus (12 Gauge) and the case hardening is in really nice shape. I inspected the water table but there is nothing there except for a serial number. The lack of proof marks steers me in the direction of an American made gun but i thought I would get the opinion of some experts. Pardon my photos...

axfw2q.jpg

30ws8ep.jpg

rc7t5f.jpg

23vhj0z.jpg

2hrmkpd.jpg


Any comments or opinions would be highly appreciated. Thanks gents.
 
Thanks Moonccon. I suppose this must be a fairly obscure item as I cannot find any information on the maker. The gun strikes me as being a good quality one. I hope someone out there has something to add.

Cheers. Stevejones.
 
The owner claims it was made in England but shouldn't there be proof marks on the water table? His Grandfather carried it in the Boer war but its in pretty nice shape.

Thanks again.
 
Have you had the barrels off and looked at the bottom of the barrel breeches?
Was his grandfather bird hunting during the Boer War?
 
J. Egan could be the same John Egan who was an eastern Ontario and possibly west Quebec Ottawa Valley timber baron in the 1800's who besides timber limits and logging etc had mercantile stores supplying the loggers and pioneer families in that area with necessities.
Just an idea
 
Thanks very much! The fellow who owns it thought that his grandfather used it in the Boer war....Anybody have an idea of its value?

Cheers.

J. Egan could be the same John Egan who was an eastern Ontario and possibly west Quebec Ottawa Valley timber baron in the 1800's who besides timber limits and logging etc had mercantile stores supplying the loggers and pioneer families in that area with necessities.
Just an idea
 
Back
Top Bottom