J.Kerr 577 sporting rifle (picture heavy)

DEZ

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
What we have here is a Kerr sporting rifle in 577 Snider . I Had it out on the weekend what fun to shoot the deep hard snow allowed me to collect a few bullets the flattened ones were shot at old empty 20 gal. propane tanks at 100 yrds they bounced back about 20 feet and I could find them in the snow the whole one went through the 100yrd target bord and I found it laying on the snow at about 200 yrds after slowing down in a couple of snow banks at the farm. Any info on the maker and some guesses at its value would be appreciated also included some pics of it with my cavalry carbine just for comparison.The load was 80grs FG with a card and cream of wheat filler.
PC060160.jpg

PC060164.jpg

PC060156.jpg

PC060161.jpg

PC060158.jpg
 
What are you using for slugs? They don't seem to be mini balls

Price I would guess at about 7 - 800 in this area.

cheers mooncoon

They are .590 dia. solid base slugs custom mold desighned by Kerry Jenkinson
 
Gorgeous gun. I bid on it's mate at the Bancroft sale 4 or 5 months ago. I kicked myself for not bidding a little higher.

Thanks its a favorite of mine for a snider style gun in 577 it is surprisingly small feeling and light but is a real bit of fun to shoot .IT seems to like fg over ffg which is fine by me as it kicks less and takes up more cartridge space
 
Very nice! How do those bullets shoot?

Lately we've ditched the cream of wheat for carded wool... that is what the origional filler was. Let me know if you want to sell it.
 
Very nice! How do those bullets shoot?

Lately we've ditched the cream of wheat for carded wool... that is what the origional filler was. Let me know if you want to sell it.

They shoot very well they are short and stabalize easier in the slow twist that most sniders use the sporting rifle is 1-48 twist if I remember correctly and the 3 band rifles are 1-60 or 1-66 I believe . I have had far better luck with these than any hollow base minni style bullet I HAVE TRIED . THEY are a cross between a round ball and a bullet I THINK THE TERM TO DESCRIBE A VERY SHORT bullet is Ball-let something like that help me out here guys
 
I've heard of these bullets before but had never seen a picture of them. I have some .585 conicals that work well. The 3 banders with the 1-78 twist can be tough to get to shoot with regular minies. A lot of people use roundballs in them as well.
 
Back
Top Bottom