J.N. Scotts 10 gauge side by side

vic130

Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys!
I am a little bit new in the world of black powder shotguns and this is why I want your opinion! I was indeed searching for a black powder shotgun when I found this big guy:

Damascus barrels and superb engravings:
Isn't damascus supposed to come up when rubbed with vinegar?
16390-01.jpg

16390-07.jpg

Worn wood finish:
(I restored my grand father's rifle, a good wood stripper and lot oil BLO and beewax should do the job? No?)
16390-06.jpg

Tang repair:
16390-16.jpg

I hope those few pictures will help you out.

Following the description the action is tight. I don't have any information about the chokes. It surely has short chambers.

For reloading, it shouldn't be a problem since I won't shoot that guy too much: a little bit for grouse and break up the routine.
(I am sure that I will become addicted in a few years, but who cares ? :dancingbanana:)

For the price, is it a good deal for 300$/350$ + shipping. And finally am I subject to GST and HST taxes since I'm from Province of Québec?

Thank you guys!
Hope you can help out a noob!
I hope it wasn't too harsh to read, English is my second language!
 
Last edited:
take a look at the bottom of the barrels over the water table and under the forestock; they have the least wear and often will show some pattern when all the exposed barrel is worn or rusted clean. Under the forestock, polish a couple of inches with abrasive paper, degrease with solvent and then lye and wipe with copper sulphate. That will usually bring out the pattern enough to see.

I would lean towards refinishing with varnish rather than oil and beeswax.

on the bottom of the barrels at the breach you should find something which indicates both the guage and if it is choked, assuming the gun is British. Either a diamond with a C inside or something like 13 B 15M which would indicate a 12 guage bored to 13 guage and choked to 15 guage at the muzzle. Your gun has rebounding hammers which probably puts it into the era of choke boring which started around 1875. The words "Not for Ball" was used between then and about 1875 to indicate choke boring.

cheers mooncoon
 
Just one man's opinion, but IF it were me, I'd want to be sure it's English, not Belgian, that the bores are really good and that nothing weird has been done to put the gun on face. I can't say with any degree of surety because there are only these few pictures to go by, but I have a hunch that something may not be really right. The metal to metal fit around the locks leaves me feeling a bit dicey, that's not usual on an English gun, even Birmingham stuff, and the barrels look sorta strange for decent damascus. Just saying. It might be a great piece. I would take my time on this one.
 
In the description I red, it said that the water table was there and intact. Also the damascus pattern is a chive (chivre?) one. The major problem is that I can't see the gun in person since it's on a online website. From what I have searched yesterday, J.N. Scotts is English and Belgian and thus very difficult to determine if it is English...

I'll quote you the description
"Serial # 3. Bores are antique bright, very good. This piece is marked on the barrel rib "Fine Damascus Chivre Club Gun". 10 gauge, 30 1/4" barrels are black powder proofed. The barrel, forewood and watertable are all marked with SN 3. Both locks are marked "J.N. Scotts", original hammers, nice engraving and sound tight action. This piece has a replaced old but less than perfect buttstock. The bottom tang shows a poor repair. This old 10 GA is worthy of a restoration job and would make an excellent vintage piece. Priced accordingly for the restorer."

Barrels are 30 1/4", might have been cut?

Should I let it there or take a chance? It's 325$ finally so it might come up to 400$ including shipping fees.
 
The balls look a little Belgian to me. Too deep.
The "lack" of real info in the description is troubling.
"Oops, I forgot to tell you.... " may be the answer you get when you buy it.
 
If the stock is a replacement, that would account for the slight gap between the left lock plate and the frame. To me the engraving on the locks and hammer looks better and more profuse than I am used to seeing on belgian guns. You might email the seller and confirm that there is not an oval with ELG stamped on the barrels or the water table and same for a perron which looks like a miniature Eiffel Tower. Both are belgian proofs. Final question might be to confirm there has been no peening on the lump to tighten the barrel / frame fit.

cheers mooncoon
 
I think I will let that tough boy go. Since I'm a little bit tight in $$ and it's not a superb deal, I'll wait a bit further. Better start reloading for my .32rf Crackshot 26 I just restored!
 
Back
Top Bottom