Jacketed .45 LC ammo?

mgovan

Regular
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Location
BC
Does such a thing exist, or are there only lead cowboy rounds out there?

I'd like the option of shooting my Uberti at the local indoor range as well, but they only allow jacketed rounds.
 
Hornady LeveRevolution rounds are jacketed, but they're $$$...

You could look for projectiles and handload maybe? A .451 jacketed projectile is what you'd be looking for.

-M
 
Speer, Winchester, and Federal list jacketed .45 colt loads on their websites, but I think you will have a hard time finding anything and it will be even more expensive than regular .45 Colt ammo. This is definitely a calibre for the reloader.

Aim Projectiles makes a 230 grain plated bullet if your range allows them. They don't have a cannelure, so you would have to taper crimp instead of roll crimping.
 
This free revolver is becoming a LOT less free :D

Curious. How much room would I need to get into reloading? My condo isn't all that big to begin with, so space is kind of a big factor.

Thanks for the info.

uberti45.jpg
 
Well, you can load on the couch and coffee table with a Lee Loader or Lee Hand Press and a set of powder dippers... or you can have an entire vast space set up to load dozens of different calibers.

I'd say the Lee Loader might be a neat place for you to start, if you're not shooting more than about 20-50 rounds per week. Anything more than that, you'll kill yourself if you don't have a proper press IMO.

In which case you can bolt the press to a good stiff base (like plywood) and clamp it to your counter when in use.

-M
 
I have my Dillon RL550B bolted to a piece of 2x12 using the Strong Mount. This setup allows me to clamp the press to my kitchen table when I'm using it and store it in my closet when I'm not using it.

DSC00254.JPG
 
The Lee Loader looks like a neat little tool. And I definitely don't see me putting all that many rounds through the revolver, so 20-50 should be plenty (for now).

Once I'm ready to start playing with the big boys I'll look into that Dillon press. Size doesn't look bad at all, but I think I'll start small for now (plus, the Lee is cheap enough that I won't mind sticking it in the closet and forgetting about it once I do upgrade)

Thanks for all the help guys. Guess I'll be going shopping in a couple days.
 
mgovan -

if you haven't seen how the Lee Loader works yet...

[youtube]UeEl9wZyabc[/youtube]

It's a neat tool - not at all fast, but definitely neat. And you can't beat the price, really. And... if you're not loading "max" loads, you can rest assured that the powder scoops will be repeatable enough to be safe. If you have the scratch, you can get a powder scale - it's a good investment, IMO - but you don't ABSOLUTELY have to if you just stay WELL into the 'safety margin'.

-M
 
Well that doesn't look too tough. Thought of hitting stuff with a hammer is a bit scary (sure my strata would love me if i started accidentally setting off primers), but should be alright.

Ordered the Lee Loader along with 100 FMJ bullets. I'll buy the primers and powder locally, once I've had a chance to read what the kit calls for.

Hopefully reloading doesn't become another addiction and I can be happy with just doing it for this gun....
 
"...powder scoops will be repeatable enough to be safe..." They can vary the charge plus or minus a full grain. Means poor accuracy. Pitch 'em and use a scale.
 
"...powder scoops will be repeatable enough to be safe..." They can vary the charge plus or minus a full grain. Means poor accuracy. Pitch 'em and use a scale.

Accuracy, sure - but if he's just plinking at the indoor range and wants the el-cheapo solution... I just figured if he stays well below any kind of 'max' load (like 1.5 grains lower than the published max) he'd be laughing.

But you're right, I'm not trying to say scoops are better than throwing a charge or measuring it in the pan.

-M
 
Back
Top Bottom