JBMR muzzleloading rifle accuracy issue

Brutus

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
118   0   1
I own a .50 calibre Browning Mountain Rifle made for PRB. I'm having a time finding the right load. And I am not an experienced muzzleloader guy and that is most likely my biggest problem. I've just recently shot this rifle just enough to realize it has a tendency to shoot high & right of the bull @50 meters, after about three shots.
Regardless of outside temperature, it seems no matter how much I clean this rifle at the outdoor range, after three or four shots from a home cleaned barrel, it moves the main point of aim, high and right of the aiming mark. Before this happens I get about a 2-3 inch group dancing around the eight ring. Just for info, 80 grains groups tighter but hits considerably lower right at the six o'clock even a touch lower maybe, 100 grains seems to get the 'best accuracy' I can manage AFAIK. Cleaning between every shot here too & using cotton pillow ticking .018 patches.

I don't even have enough BP rifle experience to realize if this just a normal trend or a sign of greater issues?

input please from the experts?
 
Last edited:
What are you using for patch lube Brutus?

There are innumerable good recipes out there, but some work better than others depending on temperature; humidity; type of powder; etc. It sounds to me like you're accuracy issues could be related to fast fouling build-up....if you're getting a layer in the barrel that the home cleaning is catching but you're "on-site" cleaning isn't (water not hot enough or something like that).
 
Last edited:
OK probably not the issue then. I've had similar issues with mine, even the bronze brush at the range wasn't good enough some days. Had to hit it with boiling water.

Are all your barrel wedges tight?

Edit: As you suggest above, a different patch / different PRB diameter could assist you, I keep going back to this being a fouling issue in my mind. Combinations of these can affect your fouling
 
Sorry I'm not more help - check my edit above there (Post 5), it does sound like a fouling problem to me (others may have different insight) so trying different patches & even ball diameters may improve your situation.

It's like reloading for your favourite rifle!
 
That does sound like a fouling problem. How tight do your cleaning patches fit the bore? How wet are they? Try a different moose milk recipe.
Something else I would try would be a smaller charge of powder. I used 90 grains for years in my Lyman GPR .50, and then last summer tried smaller charges. I ultimately settled on 45 grains, for target work, as it greatly improved my accuracy. I wonder if a lighter charge might also reduce fouling to some degree.
 
OBTW, I forgot to suggest you might check out Dutch Schoultz's website- www.blackpowderrifleaccuracy.com. Dutch has done lots of work regarding accuracy with PRB shooting. He sells a little "book", really a home printed pamphlet with hand drawn diagrams, but it is surprisingly good. If you are not interested in buying the book, his website gives you most of the information for free. His system is all about consistency. I looked for your problem in his "target analysis" chapter, and while there is no exact match for your problem, it would appear that he would suggest it might be an issue with patch lube, or rather an inconsistent amount of lube. An example would be if your patches were lying in the sun as you were shooting, they would dry out as the day went on, making each one slightly dryer than its predecessor.
If you like, I would be happy to loan you my copy, it's well worth the read. Just PM me your address...
Glen
 
Thank you Easyrider. This is just the kind of website I really need to read. Thanks for the offer, and I think I'll just open my own rusty hinged wallet and buy Dutch's pamphlet myself. Lots of great info just skimming the surface of this informative webpage.

Cheers..................:cool:
 
You didn't mention what powder you're using. I've found that changing from FFg black powder to FFFg black powder helped with accuracy.

My best, most consistent accuracy was with the now unavailable Goex "Clear Shot". There was almost no fouling with that powder.
 
Goldenlakepete beat me to it, was going to suggest fffg powder. The only variable I have found that does not affect accuracy with a caplock is the percussion cap type, everything else comes into play!
 
Good thinking guys! Powder slipped my mind. I used FFG and I'll certainly try FFFG next time.

Cheers fellas..............

BTW, thanks again Glen. I placed an order today with Dutch & I'm really looking forward to reading his book of wisdom!
 
As others have pointed out, everyone's rifle shoots a little different and these things seem very sensitive to climate and just about every other thing under the sun. Part of the fun is trying to figure out YOUR rifle

Had my .54 out today. I wasn't shooting groups, just hitting steel but it stayed minute of pie plate anyway after 30 shots (size of the gong). Biggest difference on this one (a GPR) for fouling has been the patch lube and the type of patch material. I have used many recipes over the years from weird concoctions using stuff like Ed's Red and who knows what; to just chewing 'em. Right now I'm on a diet of olive oil & water and it works for this gun, at our elevation, humidity and temperatures, real swell. Keeps the barrel fouling very soft & manageable, loads just as easy at shot 30 as it does on the first. Also using an old dress for patches that someone gave one of my daughters that had some holes in it - after looking through reams of material that had the best weave & measured the thickest. Very smooth too.

Also considering that pamphlet so let us know what ya think of it Brutus. Good luck
 
Back
Top Bottom