just bought a TC Omega, little help please

deertaker

Regular
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Location
Sherwood Park
Hello everyone,
Just purchased an Omega, stainless with the hardwoods stock. It turned out to be used, although it looked brand new so I just couldn't resist.
I took it out to the range and shot about 5 rounds out of it, just with the open sights and I thought I would of had better groupings than what i did. Perhaps it was all me but I would like to think that some if it was also lack of knowledge on tips and tricks to maintain maximum accuracy.
Also if anyone has one and what they have found worked for them with bullets and loads would be greatly appriciated. I will be buying a scope soon, but find it is just really fun to shoot and can't wait to get back out there, but hopfuly with better sucess!
Thanks guys!:)
 
Tell us what load you were shooting....pellets/loose, bullet weight/style...it would give us a starting point for suggestions.

Deer, moose, pronghorn, caribou? Typical shot distance?
 
well I was shooting blackhorn 209 120 grains of powder and hornady xtp sabots 300 grain. I am thinking of going with something in a 250 grain since I am really only using this for deer and I would like to get out to 200 yards in a hunting situation and 300 target. the 300 grain sabots were the cheapest and I just figured that for the first bit it would be just getting used to the rifle. Probably my next bullets will be the ones I will be using for deer hunting. If some people have some recomendations for bullets I am all ears!
Thanks,

John
 
Ir your rifle will reliably group that load, you indeed have a 200 yard rifle. 200 yards is a long shot, so be prepared to spend a lot of $$ and time on the range. My biggest shot was 202 yards, and was witness to a 252 yard shot ( I was the rangefinder guy). A lot can go wrong. If you become proficient at 200, then those 150 to 170 lobs become a chip shot. A laser rangefinder is a must!!!

IMHO....if you hit any target at 300 - it's luck. Blast away!
 
I shoot an Encore...my load is 100gr 777 (3F), shooting a 200gr Dead Center.

Have a look around prbullet.com...it's Cdn...but US$ for product. They have a wide variety of bullets to fit all situations.

Try to load using the same amount of pressure to seat the bullet every time...and spit patch between shots to semi-clean the bore.

Pretty basic stuff...but it helps. ;)
 
Thanks for the info i'm not so worried about spending time at the range, that's the fun part. My goal is 200 yards and we will see what happens, if it is not realistic then so be it. I will not take a shot unless I know I can do it.
As for the cleaning in between, do you mind expanding on that alittle more for me?
Thanks
 
Take a cleaning patch...spit on it...run it up and down the bore on a jag...then reverse the patch and run it again (no spit this time).

It removes alot of the residue out of the bore and gives you some consistency between shots.
 
With blackhorn 209 you don"t have to spit patch between shots,when done shooting for the day you need to use a solvent type cleaner (hoppes#9).
I shoot 90 grains of blackhorn and 240 grain 44 cal XTPs.
 
250 sst low drag,3 pyro pellets, chedditte 209 primer. I witnessed this load go through deer at measured 268yds. Neither critter went more than 20 yds. In 2 different rifles (Omegas) this load shoots less than an inch at 100 yds for 3 shots.
 
Although blackhorn 209 powder is easier to clean initially, i have found that after a few months there is a light coating of rust in the barrel. if i use triple 7 powder i never see any light rust in the barrel after a few months. also i have found blackhorn 209 to be unreliable in damp weather, causing hang-fires. I would suggest using triple 7 powder, PR bullets, and swabbing the barrel between shots. that being said, don't be afraid to try different brands of bullets, different guns tend to like different brands of bullets. personally i shoot a knight disc which loves PR bullets.
 
Back
Top Bottom