Just had my Mauser 71/84 case coloured by Oskar Kob

I saw this on a Martini Henry discussion board, the guy made a rotating pan which had about an inch of water in it. Place the casing in the water and put the torch to it as it rotates. Allows for even heat distribution and prevent the base from getting too hot.

IV8888 did that its slow and messy a socket on a drill to put the case into heat with the torch then tip socket over a pan of water the case falls in with little chance of heating the head
 
Lee used to make a shell holder with a stem that fit into a drill. That is what I have been using. I don't know if they still make them or not. When the case is the right temp, I simply shove it (still mounted on the end of my drill) into the water, then remove it.
 
Last edited:
Lee used to make a shell holder with a stem that fit into a drill. That is what I have been using. I don't know if they still make them or not. When the case is the right temp, I simply shove the it (still mounted on the end of my drill) into the water, then remove it.

yep the trim kits are still made but for some cals they are not there i always use the socket its faster
 
i solved 43 mauser brass issue the dacron filler load of 32 gr imr 4198 i was using, i wasnt using enough dacron, therefore made pressure,
so under advisement from Oskar, i used more dacron filler, i didnt get anymore split cases, also ive converted some 4570 and 348 winchester to
43 mauser, they work fine im my gun,

been experimenting with lots of powders, looking forward to get out and try the loads out
 
im going to experiment with red dot, blue dot, 2400, herco, unique
powders and cast lugs, see what happens, have some data for a 13g red dot load
15 gr unique, herco up to 15 gr, , id just like to find a low budget load
 
im going to experiment with red dot, blue dot, 2400, herco, unique
powders and cast lugs, see what happens, have some data for a 13g red dot load
15 gr unique, herco up to 15 gr, , id just like to find a low budget load

43 Mauser loads are easy. Just use 45/70 "Trapdoor" loads - there are hundreds of them.
 
43 mauser stuff in the exchange but its a bit pricey for my pocket
, just as easy to use. 348 Winchester and fire form, turn the rims
Down just a tad, works fine I. My rifle, I'm going to range today hopefully
To try couple loads I made for it
I also reformed 4570 brass, easy, size in die, the rims down
Spun them in a 1/2" cordless an held file on rim,
And turned bev for extractor to slide over,
The 4570 end up being a tad short, but for smokeless
It means nothing, I'm getting 1.5-1.75" groups with the rifle
 
Back
Top Bottom