Just pick up a ML, what should i use ?

East

Regular
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Location
Halifax
picked up a traditions xlt pursuit .50 today, got it cheap. the seller throw in some sabots, bullets and 209 primers. the bullets are TC .250gr shockwave. what im looking to find out is what kind of pellets and how many in a stack should i use on such game as whitetails.
 
Buy a copy of Lyman's BP Handbook and Reloading Manual. Runs around $30 in your local gun shop or Amazon. Good read with a whole chapter on BP substitutes and all the other bits that go with it.
 
In Sam Fadala's book "the Gun Digest Black Powder Loading Manual" he tests a Traditions in-line but only uses FFg or Pyrodex powder.

He tests several other types of in-lines, however, using either Triple Seven pellets or Pyrodex pellets (50 gr pellets).

In an Austin & Halleck .50 with a 375 gr Buffalo Bullet he used 1 50 gr Triple Seven pellet for 1388 fps, 2 pellets for 1699 fps and 3 pellets for 1803 fps.

In a Savage model 10 .50 cal he used 1 50 gr Pyrodex pellet with a 300 gr bullet in a sabot for 1331 fps, 2 pellets for 1766 fps and 3 pellets for 1939 fps.
 
Thanks for the input. around here ML is bran new(literally...this is the first time ever they are letting us do it) so there isnt much for gear. I went to a local big name dealer here and they only had pyrodex 30/50(30gr/50cal), i read alot about people going with 50/50 but it may seem i wont get that here without ordering it in. So, would three 30gr pellets behind a 250gr bullet/sabot be enough to take a deer at max 100yds? or should i up the grain and use 4?
 
Wholly Jeebus...you're already constructing howitzer rounds...deer, generally speaking don't wear armour you know. 90 grains under 250 I'd say you're good for Moose @ 100 yards. Even with that load, I for one develop one heck of a flinch with the expected pain of recoil. 120 grains of powder makes me sh1t my pants with fear!
 
East, I don't mean to sound ignorant but you do know that you can use loose powder (Pyrodec RS, Triple Seven or black powder) in you in-line, right? You don't have to use just pellets.
 
Bah, 2 White-Hot's and I'm done in my T/C Triumph

It's new school and all that

but it's also super clean and accurate with a minimum of fuss. In a word, consistent.

That's me, I'm 36 and that's where I'm at with muzzle-loading for deer.

It's subjectively a great experience.
 
Thanks for the input. around here ML is bran new(literally...this is the first time ever they are letting us do it) so there isnt much for gear. I went to a local big name dealer here and they only had pyrodex 30/50(30gr/50cal), i read alot about people going with 50/50 but it may seem i wont get that here without ordering it in. So, would three 30gr pellets behind a 250gr bullet/sabot be enough to take a deer at max 100yds? or should i up the grain and use 4?

Yes to 90 grains. If you have access to 30 g pellets then use them and 90g is not only enough for whitetail but will also be manageable for recoil as well. I've gone through all the powders and presently I'm shooting 110g of Blackhorn 209 which is a black powder substitute in lose powder form. I like it but if you are new to BP hunting I suggest you keep it simple for this year. I grew up hunting whitetail in Nova Scotia and am confident you will be just fine with your set up and 90 grains of pryodex.

Enjoy and good luck
 
Hmmm, I just looked very hard in MY copy of the Lyman BP handbook and there is no mention of in-lines at all.

Is there a more up-to-date edition that covers these objects?

tac
A more current muzzleloading book that includes some modern in-lines and even some BP cowboy action firearms is entitled:

Muzzleloading for Deer & Turkey by David Ehrig.

There is even a decent amount of pages on the controvertial subject of BP handgun hunting.

I guess sunray does not get out very much.
 
Back
Top Bottom