just picked up a french trade gun "tulle"

HUNTERROD

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Location
Cape Breton
hi guys, just made a trade with a fellow cgn 'r for his loyalist arms french trade gun or"fusil de chasse" as they are commonly called. very nice gun

have many of you guys ever had any experiences with this particular model
i plan on looking on the net for fancier brass hardware, and fit it to this gun

any suggestions from the crowd is greatly appreciated, i also plan on grouse hunting with it, being its a 20 gauge smooth bore,

i have pics of anyone wants to see it,
 
Id sure love to see a picture of the arm.

Loyalist has really been putting out some cool stuff the past 3 years or so, I wouldent touch a Indian arm -kit or finished- unless it came from Loyalist.

Call the company----talk to the owner!

I wish they would grab some of the double barreled flintlocks the yanks been offerin or even offer their own version maybe even with Queen Anne locks as a option!!!

Hell Id trade my 61 springfield for a shot at a arm like that....Wish I could get one "in the white" with lots of chunk, so I could personalize it as I see proper.
 
Last edited:
Heres a few pictures of Hunterrods musket.

Looks like a beautiful arm to me, quite nice actually!

Lots of possibility for personalization or keep her as is.

tulle002.jpg

tulle004.jpg
 
Grouse hunting

I built my own ''Pecatonica river'' Tulle fusil de chasse Kit 20Ga 6 years ago and went Grouse and deer hunting every season with it and it is a great hitter. Very strong L & R lock (more than 600 shots with the same frizzen) barrel is custom made, higly polished inside with small flare at the muzzle to ease loading(no need for a starter). Don't know much about the Indian copies except the bad reputation....My grouse load is 70 gr of fffg and 1 1/8 ounce of 7 1/2 lead shot. I use 20Ga greased wads (one over the powder and one over the shots.
I tried a few loads of steel shots with plastic wads but only with coming back to camp empty handed.
 
tulle

thanks bud for getting the pics posted for me, i have a problem with posting pics, i plan on slimming the gun down and possibly in future set gun up also to accept a 45 caliber barrel , ive been looking at track of the wolf, just nothing in there i can afford, some of the guns listed there are super nice, but the price is scary, even kits are handy to 800-900$ for something decent

i was in contact with blair at loyalist, he gave me some prices for his kits
much more hunterrod friendly, i know there are some guys who say "you get what you pay for", but , when im done with this gun, you will never know it was an indian copy,

my next one may be blairs 1847 U.S. musketoon in 69 caliber, percussion
or his lorenz rifle kit, both kits by the way if anyones interested are priced at 457$ plus taxes and shipping , still you can do lots to make these quite serviceable guns, he did price me a baker rifle kit at 580$ plus taxes and shipping, these guns are interesting, i may even swap out my lock and get the "L&R" Queen Anne lock, which would be time period correct for my tulle


blairs a nice guy and always helpful, he stands behind his products 100%
 
Hi Hunterrod!

I think your tulle is just great as is, I bet the lock is fantastic, and IF there is any issues in the future Blair can fix them for you.

Many folks complain about the guns coming from India, but frankly the biggest problems I find with Indian guns---are not the guns themselves but alot of the HACK gunsmithing done to them by supposed "pros" attempting to "improve" them.

The BEST brown bess I have ever had the pleasure to own and fire was one of these casualties of gunsmith hackery,

she had a brilliant lock "maybe the best lock I have ever used" that one day after many many rounds and 3 years of hard use broke a mainspring,

So instead of replacing the spring and leaving her as is....this "smith" took it apon himself to completely change the geometry of the lock, retap holes and basically screw with it....

then after the finished result is a piece of garbage he had the AUDACITY to blame his hackery on it being a Indian gun.....

Needless to say I do all my own smithing now, and If I cannot do it, ill ship it to Blair at loyalist.


Now aside from that rant, your tulle looks pretty great as is, but a bit of slimming and detailing here and there would make her a absolute beauty!!

People in the 60's and 70's talked alot of crap about the Japenese charlevilles and besses Im told.......and now 30- 40 years later they are considered some of the best;)
 
I have to say that in my experience the Indian guns have been given an undeserved bad rep. I had an Indian Chareleville for 3 years that was rock solid reliable. Build quality was above the early examples of Italian guns by far. We proof tested the gun with 160 grains of 2f and double balled it (tied the gun to a truck tire). Big kaboom, lots of smoke, and no problem. If you get a gun from Loyalist you will not have regrets.

Steve.
 
range report for loyalist arms "tulle"

happy to say, this thing shoots!, i have pics of my targets at various ranges
it just did well with whatever you put down the barrel, would gladly get another one of the loyalist arms guns! shot patterns are as good as any other flint 20 gauge, also very good groups with patch balls
 
Back
Top Bottom