Just Wondering...

Glenfilthie

CGN Regular
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I have been wrapped up in HBO DVD's featuring the hoople heads that live in Deadwood in the 1870's. Best western EVER!:D

So I am enjoying the show and watching heroes and villians shoot it out in the mud and the blood and the beer and admiring all the percussion revolvers they play with...

Quality wise, how do the modern reproductions stack up against the original Colts? It would be nice if a guy could go back in time and pick one up and bring it to the present and shoot them side by each in a comprehensive gun review...

Also, does anybody sell these revolvers in Canada besides Marstar? I see them kicking around from time to time in onesies and twosies but none of the gun shops in Edmonton seem to take a serious interest in stocking them...
 
I cannot really speak for the repros, but the origional colts were the preferred revolvers of their time.

Very slick.

In a magasine I bought a couple of years ago -Guns of the old west- one writer did a side by side comparison of a out of the box dixie pietta 51 navy and a origional 1851 navy pattern colt.

The modern replica he was sent was quite close to the origional in pattern, the repro performed very well and was given a very positive rating.

--aside from all the made in italy and black powder only stampings everywhere-


mind you maybe dixie sent him a example that was gone over by their gunsmith---who knows---
 
Provided you stick with steel-framed revolvers (not the flashy, and cheaper, brass-framed versions) modern-made percussion revolvers are for the most part excellent quality, quite comparable to originals.

Uberti (now owned by the Beretta/Benelli Group) is one of the oldest manufacturers of reproduction percussion revolvers .... and their products are generally considered to be among the best, although likely to cost a bit more than, for example, the Pietta revolvers carried by Marstar. (In fact, the majority of the various models of "I851 Navy" revolvers made by Pietta did not exist historically - for example, no 1851 Model Colt revolver was ever made in .44 caliber .....)

On the other hand, Uberti make reproductions of actual Colt (and Remington) percussion revolver models, and even make some "transitional" metallic cartridge models - i.e. the Richards-Mason conversion of percussion revolvers to shoot metallic cartridges, and also the Colt "Open Top" model, which was made from scratch in the Colt factory in 1871 and 1872 (starting as soon as Smith & Wesson's U.S. Patent on the bored-through cylinder had expired) until the famous Model 1873 Colt Sing Action revolver had been developed and went into production .....

Shooter's Choice in Waterloo, ON, seem to be the main Canadian dealer in Uberti percussion and transitional revolvers, as well as their reproductions of later cartridge revolvers and rifles .....

http://www.shooterschoice.com/uberti/Uberti.htm
 
I had a 2nd. Gen. Colt 1851, and while it was really nicely finished, the Uberti revolvers I've seen and owned were of better mechanical quality. The Colt had a crappy trigger, poor timing, and the cylinder gap was actually uneven. The breech rubbed the cylinder at the bottom! The hammer was also wobbly. I might add, that particular revolver was unfired when I got it. I can see why. My friend has owned a Pietta 1858 .44 for decades, and it has been accurate and reliable.
 
Back
Top Bottom