Kentucky Rifle Kit

Skinny 1950

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Location
Vancouver
I am working on a Kentucky Rifle kit which has an octagonal barrel, I am close to final assembly and would like to put a finish on the barrel. What type of finish would be appropriate for this type of rifle???
I have tested some G96 instant gun blue which gives a thin black finish but have considered some sort of brown finish.
Has anyone had experience with browning a barrel.
 
I prefer a rust finish. Put a rusting solution on the barrel and card with wet steel wool twice a day for a couple of days until the barrel is a dark brown

cheers mooncoon
 
Birchwood-Casey sells a browning solution. Called 'Plum Brown Barrel Finish'. Goes on just like cold bluing. Isn't cheap though. MSRP for a 5 oz bottle is $11US.
 
Is the rusting solution the same as a browning solution???
There is another thing that I am not sure of...on the bottom of the barrel about one third of the way in from both ends are dovetail grooves, supplied with the kit are two lugs that look like very thick front sights which are supposed to fit into the grooves. There are slots cut out of the fore-stock into which these lugs will fit but what are they supposed to do???
There were no instructions with this kit so I am winging it,so far it is straight forward except for those lug things on the bottom of the barrel...Thanks for the help on this.
 
Those, under lugs, are used to hold the barrel in the stock. You can use a pin or a wedge key.

Pin
pin-3-32_0.jpg


Wedge key
key-35-i_0.jpg
 
Those, under lugs, are used to hold the barrel in the stock. You can use a pin or a wedge key.

Pin
pin-3-32_0.jpg


Wedge key
key-35-i_0.jpg

So I need to drill a hole through the stock (press fit) and lug to hold it together....that would explain why there are pins left over. This is going to be a challenge getting the holes lined up.:eek:
 
Thanks for the link Steppenwolf...very useful info there. This picture from the tutorial will save me a lot of grief trying to line up the holes between the barrel and trigger assembly.
From Mike Brooks Tutorial:

a14MikeBrooks.jpg
 
Although I am new here, a fellow once told me that oldtimers used horse urine to brown thier barrels. Look into it ...could be worth it.
 
Back
Top Bottom