Kids Muzzleloader Build

NorthCoastBigBore

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Been a five year project :eek: but it actually still fits her, although she is twice the height she was when I started...but this is a .36 cal muzzleloader I built for my oldest daughter. My intention was a scaled down Pennsylvanian style, but as you'll see I moved away from that a bit. Tastefully I hope. We finally got it out on the range this past weekend... what can I say, I have hardly any spare time at all so everything takes a while.

I made my own trigger and trigger guard and heavily modified the patchbox, to give it the right "scaling". LOP and barrel were all shortened but in a way (best as I could) I could still retain the original "flavour".

Yes it is percussion. Sorry, but it had to be something I knew wouldn't scare her (well when she was 6 anyway) and the sparks scared her then. I also only made a single trigger just because I know she would have got annoyed with the double set.

Colerain .36 caliber barrel (1:48) 13/16"; R.E. Davis "Becky's Lock". Stock is a nice maple from Track of the Wolf that was rough inletted for the barrel only. I browned all the furniture using my own recipe of salt, Hydrogen peroxide and vinegar. Heat the metal first (just lightly obviously), apply, card, clean, repeat...make sure you apply baking soda solution once you're happy with it...

Here it was the first day out, yes I was trying to do work on that Tipton, but quickly moved to the parrot vise with leather padding.
xKsXJBm.jpg

My custom trigger guard roughed in, beside a brass fullsize guard for comparison:
LhWIPiz.jpg

Early days, trigger guard inletted I think I finished the lock inletting here too:
ndx9Ise.jpg

I modified the lock bolster to provide some protection from cap shards, I think it isn't too much? Ya it is a departure from "tradition" but hey the whole rifle is more of a flavour anyway - this is after I browned it as described:
v6vgNOP.jpg

This picture is horrible I need to put up a better one but you get the idea:
MoypcLQ.jpg

Here it is first shots this weekend. I am glad to say she liked it!!! I was surprised that I even I found the stock perfectly comfortable, shortened LOP and all:
VI0Zrl9.jpg


Slowly checking off all my outstanding projects. Still some more to go. I promised myself I'd clean up what I have before I start any more.

Hope you'll find it interesting.
 
Last edited:
Pretty sweet!

I eyeballed those little locks a few years back, but didn't twitch quite hard enough to make the sale. Don't think they are available any more, are they?

.36 is nice for small stuff, and target shooting. Dunno if I wouldn't have gone for a 45 caliber barrel if I thought it might even be a possibility to use for hunting larger game. Just because, well, deer. Y'know. :)

Nicely done!

Hope it serves well!

Cheers
Trev
 
Pretty sweet!

I eyeballed those little locks a few years back, but didn't twitch quite hard enough to make the sale. Don't think they are available any more, are they?

.36 is nice for small stuff, and target shooting. Dunno if I wouldn't have gone for a 45 caliber barrel if I thought it might even be a possibility to use for hunting larger game. Just because, well, deer. Y'know. :)

Nicely done!

Hope it serves well!

Cheers
Trev

Thank you sir! No, I don't think they are making that Becky's lock anymore; I imagine any smaller pistol lock does the same job so it was sort of a niche. They were advertising it for pistols when I bought it, but I figured if he designed it for the same reason I was looking, I figured what the heck. I think it was on sale too. It doesn't have a very strong spring so the lock time is not that quick, but the tradeoff with kids is, it's easy to ####.

I need to build a couple more "kid's" rifles and I'd use one again but I guess I'll make do with a small pistol lock, or just make something.

This is strictly for punching paper and trail walks so I really wanted a .32 for her, but the .36 ended up being the choice, just because of barrel choices when I bought it.
 
Back
Top Bottom