Kirst Konverter

Yes. I had a Pietta .44 Remington cap & ball that came with the Kirst 5 shot conversion kit in .45 Colt.

I had to tighten up the hinge pin on the conversion plate as it popped open on recoil. Other than that, it worked fine. You have to learn how to index it properly due to the five shot cylinder.

When I mentioned it on CasCity, one of the principles of the Kirst company contacted me and asked how I got it into the country as at that time he did not have an export licence. I told him I got it in trade deal.
 
Biggest problem with them is they are not available here .
There are several company's making conversion cylinders but try to find one in Canada .
That's not to say there are not a few floating around here and once and a while show up for sale used .
I've been looking for one for a ROA for some time .
 
Biggest problem with them is they are not available here .
There are several company's making conversion cylinders but try to find one in Canada .
That's not to say there are not a few floating around here and once and a while show up for sale used .
I've been looking for one for a ROA for some time .

I had a kirst shipped to Canada. They will ship here. If you are installing one in an original, the Uberti one is the one that fits the original 1858 pistols. We fitted it and it worked great. Make sure that you contiune to use black powder loads if it is an original pistol due to the weak metal the frame is made of. And for the love of god don't use any factory ammo in an original if you fit it with one of the converters...
 
I put a Taylor conversion on my Pietta 1860 44 cap and ball. It dropped in and timed perfectly, no fitting needed what so ever.
Taylor shipped it straight to my door no problem.

taylorsfirearms.com/accessories/conversion-cylinders.html

Seems to me the Krist required some sort of frame modification?

M
 
Last edited:
The recoil shield has to be cut to permit loading of the cylinder. Mine came that way from the original owner.
 
I had a kirst shipped to Canada. They will ship here. If you are installing one in an original, the Uberti one is the one that fits the original 1858 pistols. We fitted it and it worked great. Make sure that you contiune to use black powder loads if it is an original pistol due to the weak metal the frame is made of. And for the love of god don't use any factory ammo in an original if you fit it with one of the converters...

Don't think that would be a problem in a Ruger old army
 
I am interested in the open top style cartridge revolvers.
From the EE, I had acquired a Sherriff's model 1851 style .44 percussion. It was modestly priced because someone had tried to install a dovetailed front sight, had broken through into the bore, and had gnawed out the rifling in the damaged area. There was full disclosure about the problem. I later acquired a long barrel, which fit nicely. Cut and crowned the original barrel to get rid of the damage; this eliminated the loading lever catch lug. Barrel is now 4 3/8". Not particularly useful as a percussion revolver, given that there is no way to have a loading lever.
I am thinking that installation of a Kirst Konverter would result in a handy, compact .45 revolver. Wouldn't be any less expensive than purchasing a used open top repro, but would be an interesting project.
 
I have 2 , both are for 1858 Uberti's
I have used them a few times for cowboy action events , One of the cylinder's gives occasional misfires always on the same chamber. They are cut for .45 ACP so I am thinking this chamber might be cut a bit to deep. But I have not gotten around to checking it out yet so I can not say for shur.It always seems to fire the second time around. The nice part was I just ordered them from Kirsk (VTI gun parts) through the mail. No problems. In hindsight .45 long colt would not have had this issue if this turns out to be the problem. But I have a Dillon set up for the ACP.
 
U sure it's 44 and not 36? Taylor offers a 1851 conversion to 38LC.

M

Yes it is .44. The size of the hole in the end is obviously not .36. ;) A lot of repros are built on the '51 pattern, in addition to the '60 style (streamlined with creeping loading lever).
Have a look at the Kirst website - you'll see kits offered in .45 for both '51 and '60 styles. They do warn about not installing a .45 cylinder on a .36...
 
Back
Top Bottom