Kyber Pass Pistols

tactical870

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
136   0   0
Anyone on here own a Kyber Pass pistol? Are any of them antique status? Love to know a bit more about them as they have intrigued me for a while but they only seem to come up very occasionally and always sell as restricted.
 
Mine's registered as a Henry-Martini, and shoots .303, I've only shot it once to see if it fired.
I used a very light load of bullseye, and would never try anvthing close to a factory load. KD
 
I doubt that many if any of the middle eastern Webley copies are pre 1898.
Most of the copies I have seen are not of the solid frame or earlier revolvers but rather of post turn of century early goverment revolver No.1 MK III-VI to revolver model No. 2 seemingly particularly popularly made in the 38/200 calibers. Likely due to the multitude of individual manufacturers with no legitimate markings it would be virtually immpossible to verify origin and actual manufacture date.
 
I doubt that many if any of the middle eastern Webley copies are pre 1898.
Most of the copies I have seen are not of the solid frame or earlier revolvers but rather of post turn of century early goverment revolver No.1 MK III-VI to revolver model No. 2 seemingly particularly popularly made in the 38/200 calibers. Likely due to the multitude of individual manufacturers with no legitimate markings it would be virtually immpossible to verify origin and actual manufacture date.

I was thinking of the martini action single shot pistols.... Were they made in any other caliber than 303?
 
I was thinking of the martini action single shot pistols.... Were they made in any other caliber than 303?

As far as I know, the only ones EVER made were by a Afgan with a file and a piece of Russian railroad iron. If you get one, keep a Ziplock handy to store fingers and other salvageable parts in - if you fire it.
 
As far as I know, the only ones EVER made were by a Afgan with a file and a piece of Russian railroad iron. If you get one, keep a Ziplock handy to store fingers and other salvageable parts in - if you fire it.

My thoughts exactly.
I fired mine just to say I did.
It would have been hilarious to witness,
I rested the pistol on a rest and hid under the bench with just my hand over the table.
Even using a very light load of bullseye, I didn't really trust it. KD
 
Alan Lever at Lever Arms in Vancouver brought in a whole bunch of these back about 1965; I saw them the day they were uncrated.

Most were Martini actions in various calibres, .303 mostly, a very few in what appeared to be 577/450 MH but also a few with .45-inch bores and smaller chambers..... .476 perhaps?

The Pathan used to reload primers with matchheads, use (cellulose nitrate) movie film, all chopped up, for powder, file the rifling marks off pickup .303 bullets from the Metfords and use 'em over again. Very scary ideas, but that's what they did.

Can you just IMAGINE the muzzle blast from firing 37 or 38 grains of (essentially) flake powder out of a 5-inch barrel?

One round and your target is dead, gutted and cooked, and it hasn't even had time to fall down!

That said, two points:
1. It would be interesting to find out just how strong one really is (without damaging the thing). We do know that the Martini action is one of the strongest ever devised.
2. I think it might be safe to up the loadings a bit, but I would stay away from really super-fast powders because there is a shock factor that doesn't exist with the slower powders. Hatcher remarks on blown-up early-model 1903 Springfields (which normally fired a 52,000-psi load) when used with super-quick powders in the Guard cartridge, which wasn't supposed to generate a quarter of that pressure, but burned awfully fast, creating a shock effect rather than a propellant effect.

I will run away now and hide.

Have fun!
 
I'd like to buy a real one but am also contemplating building one from an antique status reciever and chambering it for something a little more modern like 44 mag or 500 S&W... I picked up a nepalese francotte martini that I was going to use as a basis for the project but it's destined to be a wall hanger as I wouldn't trust it.
 
Back
Top Bottom