Lead free ammo

Jman91

Member
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Location
EOSC
Hi All,

I have seen this page posted elsewhere and I am concerned about the impact lead regulations could have on the black powder shooting sports. Please take the time to write and explain to them why using lead is important for your heritage sport.

htt**ps://www.canada.ca/en/environment-climate-change/services/management-toxic-substances/list-canadian-environmental-protection-act/lead/using-more-lead-free-ammunition.html

Here is what I sent them for other's inspiration:
"
I am writing to you to explain a concern I have with potential future regulations regarding lead used in firearms. I am a regular shooter and occasional hunter, my great passion is shooting muzzleloaders from the early flintlock era (1720s and up) up to the target rifles of the 1870s. While modern muzzle loaders can use lead free alternatives there are simply none available for many of these firearms.

One particular rifle I plan on hunting with this season is a replica Whitworth Rifle, this rifle is know for being one of the most precise shooting arms of the 1850s, it’s rifling is polygonal and it fire either hexagonal-conical or cylindroid-conical bullets. Unfortunately this rifle, and many other traditional and replica muzzle loaders can only use soft lead bullets to shoot safely and accurately. Muzzle loaders using conical bullets must rely on the properties of the lead bullets to deform and accept the shape of the rifling upon firing, no other material can be substituted. Many early cartridge rifles also have the same limitations, for example: the Martini-Henry, the Remington Rolling Block and many others.

On the other end of the spectrum I also enjoy shooting flintlock smooth bore guns both with patched lead round balls and lead shot. Again lead round balls must be made of soft lead for safety reasons, as the ball must be able to deform safely when being pushed down the barrel when loading. Using a lead substitute may cause the ball become stuck midway in the barrel which is impossible to correct in the field and usually ends up with a visit the gunsmith. With regards to lead shot, muzzle loaders do not typically use shotgun wads or cups. The lead shot is sandwiched between two wads, as such the side of the shot rubs against the barrel. Lead must be used as the friction between non-lead shot is poorly understood and could create dangerous situation as no muzzle loaders are designed for this. The use of shot cups and modern wad negatively affects the performance of muzzle loaders and are quite impractical.

Another point of consideration is that muzzle loaders and black powder cartridge rifles by their very nature are uncommon and fired much less often than modern rifles using smokeless powder. Whereas a modern firearms can easily shoot over 200 bullets in a shooting session, a long afternoon with a muzzle loading rifle might well only yield 20 shots. As such, the impact these guns have is negligible.

In Ontario there are special hunting seasons for muzzle loaders. While many hunters use modern inline muzzle loaders which can use lead free bullets, this muzzleloading season is a great opportunity for me to combine my passion for history with hunting. Regulations against lead use would severely limit my sport, probably to the point where I would no longer hunt.

I ask that in any future regulation consider that the use of lead in black powder muzzle loaders and black powder cartridge rifles both replicas and originals be recognized as necessary. These firearms, the activities surrounding them, culture, heritage and history form part of the fabric of what made Canada and the loss of these activities would be a great loss to Canadians such as myself."
 
ht**tp://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ammunition-lead-gun-owners-1.4636598

This will have a huge impact for those who hunt with sidelock muzzleloaders and BPCR, I am suprised I did not get a single reply. Maybe I’m the only one worried??
 
I think the biggest impact will be on 22 rimfire and on competitive handgun shooters, both of whom go through a lot of ammo and the proposed ban would include all ammunition not just hunting. I have written one letter and am composing a longer one for my local club.

cheers mooncoon
 
I think the biggest impact will be on 22 rimfire and on competitive handgun shooters, both of whom go through a lot of ammo and the proposed ban would include all ammunition not just hunting. I have written one letter and am composing a longer one for my local club.

cheers mooncoon

I agree that those two activities will be greatly impacted, and many people will be writing to on those subject. I just want to avoid black powder shooters being forgotten.
 
Zinc is about the only alternative I can think of but it melts at 756 F and weighs about 2/3 the weight of lead. That translates into being a lot harder to melt in our current types of lead pots and the resulting balls being a lot harder and lighter than lead balls. For most of my shooting I actually cast using wheel weights and other types of scrap lead and they melt around 450 F to 500 F. For black powder cartridge rifles, the much lower density of zinc combined with probably not obturating would create a lot of challenges for accurate shooting

cheers mooncoon
 
For anything that obituaries we would have to basically invent new rifles I’m not even sure it would be possible. Also image getting a bullet stuck in the barrel or dryballing, would be a nightmare.
 
Hoard your lead and ignore it I say. There’s no alternative for a big smoothbore gun, they can go fly a kite.
 
Hi All,

I have seen this page posted elsewhere and I am concerned about the impact lead regulations could have on the black powder shooting sports. Please take the time to write and explain to them why using lead is important for your heritage sport.

htt**ps://www.canada.ca/en/environment-climate-change/services/management-toxic-substances/list-canadian-environmental-protection-act/lead/using-more-lead-free-ammunition.html

Here is what I sent them for other's inspiration:
"
I am writing to you to explain a concern I have with potential future regulations regarding lead used in firearms. I am a regular shooter and occasional hunter, my great passion is shooting muzzleloaders from the early flintlock era (1720s and up) up to the target rifles of the 1870s. While modern muzzle loaders can use lead free alternatives there are simply none available for many of these firearms.

One particular rifle I plan on hunting with this season is a replica Whitworth Rifle, this rifle is know for being one of the most precise shooting arms of the 1850s, it’s rifling is polygonal and it fire either hexagonal-conical or cylindroid-conical bullets. Unfortunately this rifle, and many other traditional and replica muzzle loaders can only use soft lead bullets to shoot safely and accurately. Muzzle loaders using conical bullets must rely on the properties of the lead bullets to deform and accept the shape of the rifling upon firing, no other material can be substituted. Many early cartridge rifles also have the same limitations, for example: the Martini-Henry, the Remington Rolling Block and many others.

On the other end of the spectrum I also enjoy shooting flintlock smooth bore guns both with patched lead round balls and lead shot. Again lead round balls must be made of soft lead for safety reasons, as the ball must be able to deform safely when being pushed down the barrel when loading. Using a lead substitute may cause the ball become stuck midway in the barrel which is impossible to correct in the field and usually ends up with a visit the gunsmith. With regards to lead shot, muzzle loaders do not typically use shotgun wads or cups. The lead shot is sandwiched between two wads, as such the side of the shot rubs against the barrel. Lead must be used as the friction between non-lead shot is poorly understood and could create dangerous situation as no muzzle loaders are designed for this. The use of shot cups and modern wad negatively affects the performance of muzzle loaders and are quite impractical.

Another point of consideration is that muzzle loaders and black powder cartridge rifles by their very nature are uncommon and fired much less often than modern rifles using smokeless powder. Whereas a modern firearms can easily shoot over 200 bullets in a shooting session, a long afternoon with a muzzle loading rifle might well only yield 20 shots. As such, the impact these guns have is negligible.

In Ontario there are special hunting seasons for muzzle loaders. While many hunters use modern inline muzzle loaders which can use lead free bullets, this muzzleloading season is a great opportunity for me to combine my passion for history with hunting. Regulations against lead use would severely limit my sport, probably to the point where I would no longer hunt.

I ask that in any future regulation consider that the use of lead in black powder muzzle loaders and black powder cartridge rifles both replicas and originals be recognized as necessary. These firearms, the activities surrounding them, culture, heritage and history form part of the fabric of what made Canada and the loss of these activities would be a great loss to Canadians such as myself."

Thank you for your help advising us of possible upcoming regulation troubles. I am sure there will be little co operation by the victims, if this thing is passed.
 
I have expressed my concerns to Environment Canada. one of them is a safety concern.
Every trail walk that I've been on, and many competitons, start with the caveat: lead round ball only. There are two reasons for this. Jackets or sabot rounds ruin the gongs by punching holes; as do some long lead bullets. Lead squashes when it hits, significantly reducing recochet hazard. Going lead free might mean giving up hearing the impact, a sad prospect.
 
Back
Top Bottom