Lead Shot loads for a musket ?

warrenlikesboats

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a Pedersoli .75cal smoothbore musket and was thinking it would be cool to shoot trap, and later maybe (depending on how well the trap goes) try to hunt game birds with it :cool:

Been doing some reading on the web, but want to hear your guys opinions on how to load different shot loads ?


So far, ive confirmed that LEAD SHOT in most shapes and forms should be safe for most musket barrels.

Id plan to obtain the shot from dissected 12ga shells (#8 for clays, and something like #4 for birds)


But am curious about the amount of shot and powder I should use ?

Does it make sense that I should match the total weight of the shot I pour down the barrel with the weight of a normal round ball ?

And the volume of powder should just be what id normally charge a round ball with ?

Would that be safe?

What do you guys use for wad?

Id preferably like to make up paper cartridges loaded with shot so reloading in the field wouldnt be so cumbersome, would a paper cartridge of shot be doable ?

thanks for offering you wisdom
 
I would use the same as for a 12 guage shotgun; 1 1/8 oz of shot and 80 grains of 2F which is 3 drahms of powder (1 drahm is 27 grains). For wads you can buy prelubed cushion wads and card wads but I suspect you might need 10 wads since 12 gauge is .729. I am not sure what the actual diameter of commercial wads is. I would suggest a thick card wad on top of the cushion wad to prevent the shot imbedding into the cushion wad and a thin card wad on top of the shot.

cheers mooncoon
 
mooncoon's suggested load would be just fine.
Generally equal volumes of shot and powder work. If you want greater pattern density, use a bit more shot.
You can make up paper cartridges. One for powder, one for shot. I have glued the overshot wad to the powder cartridge. Open the cartridge, dump the powder, ram the paper and wad. Add a lubed wad. Open the shot cartridge, dump the shot, ram the paper. Cartridges made from heavy paper.
Cutting shells open to get shot is a pretty expensive way of getting shot.
If you want to just give it a try, dump powder, wad with paper, add shot, wad with paper.
Wads need to be seated firmly.
 
I wanted something a little quicker to load for hunting, so I got some brass tube from the hobby shop and cut it into lengths with a pipe cutter. This leaves a rolled end on the tube which I swage out on one end (like belling the mouth of a cartridge before loading a bullet). Up against the rolled end goes a card wad, then shot, then a nitro card, lubed felt wad, dry felt wad. After that, powder and topped with a cork. Loading is pop the cork, drop the powder, hit the buttstock on the ground to settle the powder, then ram the rest home through the tube. Cap or prime and you're ready for your next shot.

Edit:

Equal volumes of powder and shot are good.

#8s are fine for clays, but #4s are a little large for most upland birds other than turkeys. I generally load #6s for grouse, pheasant and rabbit.
 
Okay thanks for all the imput, so how does this sound for a load, based off your suggestions, (cus id prefer the most simplest route that doesnt involve purchasing 4 different types of wads lol) since I only intend on making like 25 shots this season with it

Paper cartridge full of powder: opened, poured down barrel, paper rammed down

Add a lubed store bought cushion wad with under shot wad punched out of cardboard glued to the top of it

Paper cartridge full of lead shot: opened, shot poured down barrel, paper rammed down ??

I will definitely look into the speed pipe load suggested by achanelion.


What keeps me from just dumping the paper cartridge of lead shot down the barrel without even opening it ?? or is that a bad idea?
 
^ I'm certain that's how it was done way back when. Tore the paper...dump powder charge...paper and projectile (shot in your case) started and rammed home on top of the charge.
One thing to watch out for is shooting like this in the heat of summer. In drought conditions you may inadvertently start a fire with burning paper and wad. In the Fall/Autumn I wouldn't worry a moment.
 
Paper cartridge full of powder: opened, poured down barrel, paper rammed down

Add a lubed store bought cushion wad with under shot wad punched out of cardboard glued to the top of it

Paper cartridge full of lead shot: opened, shot poured down barrel, paper rammed down ??

What keeps me from just dumping the paper cartridge of lead shot down the barrel without even opening it ?? or is that a bad idea?

I don't see the point in gluing the under shot card to the cushion wad. I doubt it would stick well at all because the cushion wad is prelubed. I also would use a thin card wad on top of the shot rather than the empty paper cartridge because I think you would get a better pattern. As long as the end of your ramrod is about 3/4 of the bore diameter and flat across the end, it will push a card down the bore flat rather than on edge. With a small diameter tip, there is a significant risk of the card turning on edge

cheers mooncoon
 
I always use an overshot wad to ensure the second charge stays put on recoil of the first barrel.
I used some wasp nest this year with a slightly smaller diameter cork wad over the powder ( minor field adjustment!) and saw so change in how well the gun shot and how well it flattened the pheasants.
I use lubed wads for the original Chance and sons in my bottom pic, but for the Beretta I have not and it loads fine and cleans up fast - possibly because the barrel is in better condition, I have no idea.
My partner in the second pic uses only an unlubed nitro card wad on top of his powder and an overshot wad in his double flinter and has killed geese with it as well as pheasants.
Cat
 
Who said anything about a lubed cushion wad? Regular shot shells use no lube and run fine. Those of us making up black powder shot shells don't use any lube and they run fine too. You just need a dry cushion wad that is a snug fit in your bore. When we read "cushion wad" in black powder writeups it is often in connection with cap and ball revolvers. Is this where the shift here to a lubed cushion wad came from?

The over powder cards and over shot cards will try to turn or possibly kink and fold on you if using the small diameter end of the ball ram rod. So a larger size flat ended ram rod would be a wise idea so they are pushed home flat and true.
 
I have encountered only one that worked better with a lubed wad and that was the Chance and Sons .
eithout a lived wad a third round of powder and nitro wad gets pretty hard to get down the bore .
carttidges are not lived because they only go one way!
Any other had no issue and o have shot a pile of them over the years
Cat
 
Back
Top Bottom