Lee Enfield Carbine reproduction nosecaps

englishman_ca

CGN frequent flyer
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
156   0   2
I might have found a source for repro cavalry carbine nosecaps.

I am wondering as to how much interest there would be in me bringing some into Canada.

CavCarbnosecaps_zps03b7a7b2.jpg
nosecap_zps2b3aa337.jpg

Picture - Phil Cregeen, NZAHAA

Repop nosecap can be seen on the lower of the two carbines.

More info to come.
 
Last edited:
Right now I do not have a project Lee that could be turned into a carbine and at $100 I am not going to get it just to hold on to it for a possible project, I know that does not help you but that is the way it is.
 
IMG_5674.jpgIMG_5675.jpg

These ones are pretty much coming together. I have a few more in different stages of progress.

Finding original wood is a no starter. There is none to be found, so restocking with new made wood is the only option. I have my wood duplicator up and running, so I am making lots of scrapwood and sawdust. Not quite ready yet to have at a $100 chunk of walnut yet, but I am getting there.

This will hopefully be my solution to finding replacement wood, however, these two items seem to be the hardest ones to find for a restoration.

IMG_5762.jpg
Nosecap and barrel band.


There were not alot of carbines made when compared to the volume of rifles. Probably the only spares floating around between collectors are take off from other carbines. Good luck in finding some. If you do, you will need to be ready to pay good money

I have a couple of nose caps from the second batch of castings made earlier this year. Very nice investment casting.
IMG_5434.jpg
Repop on left, original on right.

Some slight varience to the original, most noticeablly,the repop is a little thicker in the sight protector ears.
IMG_5438.jpgIMG_5440.jpg
They do need a little hand fitting but fit right up. The ears can be slimmed down and the ears' profile changed a bit to suit either Enfield or Metford front sight ramps (lower height on Metford).

So the barrel band is the challenge. I have chatted with other restorers and a couple use smle bands. They are not quite the right size, but can be made to work. If new wood, then not a problem making the wood fit the band.

I was chatting with a gent at the Bracebridge gunshow last weekend. He had tables with several Lee Enfields laid out and a nice No.4T displayed sitting on its transit chest. Chatting led to potential horsetrading, and when I asked about cavalry carbine barrel bands, he came up with a tip on how to make one. Modify a long lee band by forging.

So simple I had to get right on it. I had a couple of 'less than perfect' barrel bands in the bins, so why not. I donned my blacksmith apron and went looking for my hammer.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5434.jpg
    IMG_5434.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 352
  • IMG_5674.jpg
    IMG_5674.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 350
  • IMG_5675.jpg
    IMG_5675.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 350
  • IMG_5762.jpg
    IMG_5762.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 349
  • IMG_5438.jpg
    IMG_5438.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 347
  • IMG_5440.jpg
    IMG_5440.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 355
IMG_5780.jpg
This is what I have to work with. A long Lee band and an original cav carbine band for use as my pattern.

IMG_5790.jpg
This would be my blacksmith shop. Tree stump on the garage floor. The anvil I found in the remnants of a log building way up northern Ontario by the Manitoba border. Brought it out in my suitcase on a float plane (onther story). Date cast in side 1879.

I shoulda taken blow by blow pictures, but hammer heat and tongs make it difficult to take pics. But I'll tell ya, if you can use a hammer properly, its is straight forward. I heated the thing red and opened it up flat. Steel when it is hot, I mean really friggin hot, it becomes plastic and is as easy to work as modeling clay, ya just cant touch it! So I flattened out the two shoulders, which had the effect of drawing out the steel and made the band longer. Perfect!

So once the shoulder was ironed out, I reformed the band around a piece of round bar stock.
IMG_5784.jpg
As always, when I hand make a part, I make three. the first one fits and works but just aint quite right. So I make a second one and adjust to fix the probs and it is almost there. The third one is usually spot on. This is the second one as I drew the first one out too far and is was way too big.

IMG_5781.jpgIMG_5786.jpg
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5780.jpg
    IMG_5780.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 343
  • IMG_5790.jpg
    IMG_5790.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 342
  • IMG_5784.jpg
    IMG_5784.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 343
  • IMG_5781.jpg
    IMG_5781.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 341
  • IMG_5786.jpg
    IMG_5786.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 344
A little clean up and polishing and this is where I am with the metalwork.
IMG_5767.jpg

The nosecap is reworked a bit, looks better.
IMG_5768.jpg

And the band is close in form
IMG_5771.jpg

Third attempt maybe tomorrow.
IMG_5796.jpg

IMG_5795.jpg

IMG_5791.jpg
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5767.jpg
    IMG_5767.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 340
  • IMG_5768.jpg
    IMG_5768.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 338
  • IMG_5771.jpg
    IMG_5771.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 339
  • IMG_5796.jpg
    IMG_5796.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 339
  • IMG_5795.jpg
    IMG_5795.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 338
  • IMG_5791.jpg
    IMG_5791.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 339
I bought one from a guy in NZ and also a front wood from a different supplier. Both excellent workmanship and great communication.
 
I have purchased three nosecaps from Bill Gregerson in NZ and couldn't be happier with them. There is another option for the middle band that does not involve destroying a Long Lee band - which are also getting a little hard to find. I cut, ground and filed one out of a piece of 1/2" steel plate. It wasn't particularly difficult, but took a little time. As I recall, I posted the finished reconversion somewhere on the site. I have another one to do this winter - a pleasant way to spend a cold winters day or two.
 
Just to keep this post going.

There is a member here who has a well kept secret. He is very handy in the machine shop! But I'll not let the cat out of the bag.

He reproduced a cavalry carbine barrel band retainer for me and it is just a perfect fit! The only thing that it is missing are the inspection stamps, otherwise it is indiscernible from the original.


IMG_1904_zpsra9okgzi.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_1905_zpsjil3seeb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_1907_zpsn6emwdwm.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_1908_zpstsaydoi7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG][/IMG]

So now that I have all the metalwork I need for my LEC sporter restoration, I can make a start. My next step is to make up a wood set.

Stay tuned.....
 
Well ...... Thank you for your very kind comments. It pleases me to no end that you are so happy with it.

I had mentioned to englishman that I considered offering them on the EE, but am reluctant to do so because I think the asking price would be perceived as a little steep. In addition to the machining, a fair bit of hand work goes into producing each part. As it now stands, the asking price would have to be about $125.00 and I am a little afraid folks might think I am gouging them.

By the way, I owe englishman a huge debt of gratitude. If he had not loaned me a virtually irreplaceable part, I would not have been able to reproduce it.
 
Tokguy. There are four variations to the nosecap. Depending on your front sight ramp, it would likely be the same as the one on the second from bottom, the NZ carbine. It uses a Martini cap.

So what happened to the MH. Do tell?

Still got it, but it's quite a ways from OEM. And It doesn't fit the P-H 303 bbl anyhow.
 
I might have found a source for repro cavalry carbine nosecaps.

I am wondering as to how much interest there would be in me bringing some into Canada.

CavCarbnosecaps_zps03b7a7b2.jpg
nosecap_zps2b3aa337.jpg

Picture - Phil Cregeen, NZAHAA

Repop nosecap can be seen on the lower of the two carbines.

More info to come.

A friend of mine is looking for one.
 
I am pretty certain the cleanup of the raw castings includes some machining which, I believe, includes machining the surfaces of the tubular sleeve. The two examples in my parts bin both show ever so slight evidence of lathe turning in the area under discussion. I suspect the radius may have fallen victim to some over zealous machining.
 
Back
Top Bottom