Lee R.E.A.L Bullets question

gerardjohnson

CGN Regular
EE Expired
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Location
New Brunswick
Ive always used round ball in my muzzleloaders but picked up a Lee REAL Bullets mold at a gun show and made a few yesterday to try them out. My question is: do I lubricate the bullets? I would use liquid alox if I do. Also, do you use only pure lead to make them or can wheel weights be used?
 
I have read that some get very good performance from WW. the problem comes from geting them into your barrel. they do cast harder than pure, so can take some doing to get them started.

as for greasing them, I don't know anyone who uses LLA to lube for blackpowder. Most just rub some BlackPowder lube of some sort onto the bullet, or use a grease cookie.
 
a very carefully measured amount of lube (about that much should do)directly on the base works for me, tough to load with wheel weight lead, no prob with soft lead though.
 
Pure lead is used so that the bullet will be able to be pushed down the barrel and then obturate on firing to fill the bore for good accuracy with a proper seal of the bore.
 
I have read that some get very good performance from WW. the problem comes from geting them into your barrel. they do cast harder than pure, so can take some doing to get them started.

as for greasing them, I don't know anyone who uses LLA to lube for blackpowder. Most just rub some BlackPowder lube of some sort onto the bullet, or use a grease cookie.

What is a grease cookie?
 
A little "cookie" of grease. some take a casing of about bore size and punch out a button of grease from on a pan. put two cards of bore size around it, and u have a grease cookie, AFAIK that's how its done. it keeps its shape with the cards and is easier to load. I hear mostly use bore butter and rub some on the driver home.
 
I just use a lard and wax mixture and smear into the groves on the side of the real bullets
 
I will add that I have never had good luck with these, they load fine but accuracy is not up to snuff in 3 diff. guns, a proper conical is more accurate for me.
 
pan lubing works good look on youtube you can use any blackpowder lube to do this or crisco

or a good home made BP lube this one works for my muzzleloader and BPCR

buck emmert's BP lube
1750 grains(4oz) beeswax (dont use your bp measure lol use a scale)
1368 grains(3.125 oz) of crisco shortening white
328 grains(0.875 oz) vegatable oil
 
I found that I did not get good accuracy until I started using close to 90 grains of powder. I had cast the bullets from pure lead so I suspect that in order to get the bullet to expand into the rifling you might have problems using wheel weights. Another thing to think about is the twist rate of the rifling in your gun. The gun I was using had a 1 in 48 twist and I suspect that anything slower would not perform well. At the time I recall using "wonder lube" but an excellent lube is Becel olive oil based margarine.

Cheers. Steve.
 
I tried them is several rifles and only got so so accuracy in a couple of them. I gave up and went back to round balls. Rifles were 1 in 48" twist. A friend did get good accuracy in a .50 White Mountain carbine with a faster twist. We just used Wonder lube on the bullet.
 
I cast the REAL boolits in .54 for my TC Hawken, after allowing to cool I tumble in Lee Liquid Alox, with a start wt of 70grs Goex 2F up to 100grs I can nail a these boolits into a paper plate at 100yds easily. I've yet to try Pyrodex with these boolits.
Good Luck
 
I smear my homemade deer lard/ beeswax/olive oil lube in the grooves. They shoot decent for me in both of our Lyman Trade rifle .54's. I don't find them quite as accurate as patched round ball though.
 
I've shot them out of a zoli zouave and they shoot pretty well, about the same as the lyman miniball I shoot but when they get stuck in the barrel they stick good and you have to beat them down onto the powder
 
Back
Top Bottom