So the original definition of an antique centerfire handgun was:
- Made before 1898
- Does not fire ammo that is 'commonly available'
Later, the Regulations Prescribing Antique Firearms specified what calibers were not antique, as the concept of common availability is quite vague.
Now I see on EE revolvers that shoot .45 ACP and come with an antique status RCMP letter. 45 ACP is definitely commonly available and, according to Wikipedia, was invented in 1904.
Now, let me get this straight: .45 ACP is not on the list of prescribed non-antique calibers, and that makes it legal as an antique caliber, even if it's abundantly available and modern.
There has to be something I am missing, because I just can't wrap by brain around that.
- Made before 1898
- Does not fire ammo that is 'commonly available'
Later, the Regulations Prescribing Antique Firearms specified what calibers were not antique, as the concept of common availability is quite vague.
Now I see on EE revolvers that shoot .45 ACP and come with an antique status RCMP letter. 45 ACP is definitely commonly available and, according to Wikipedia, was invented in 1904.
Now, let me get this straight: .45 ACP is not on the list of prescribed non-antique calibers, and that makes it legal as an antique caliber, even if it's abundantly available and modern.
There has to be something I am missing, because I just can't wrap by brain around that.



















































