Letter of 'antique' status

Sharps '63

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
When one acquires an "antique" firearm, does the accompanying letter with a previous owner's name on it apply to the new owner, or does one have to obtain a new letter?

If so, it's just another 'registration', establishing a paper trail like any other restricted firearm.
 
There is no mention of the owner on the letter. It only talks about the gun.

You don't even need to have the gun to get a letter. Only the model and the serial number. You can ask for a letter for a gun that's not even in Canada.
 
The new paperwork has no owner information on it - the old paperwork had it, but most people chose to cut out their personal information when they sold the gun and sent the paperwork on so that they didn't have to worry where their information would end up.

It is still a system of registry though. They definitely do have old antique information attached to your files - I've checked myself and despite their denial, they were able to pull up info for me that was over a year old.
 
I have an antique pistol with no letter. Do I need to get one? If so how is this done?

You don't need a letter, but some folks feel more comforted with having documentation in case a chance encounter with less knowledgeable LEO.
I typically have letters for my handguns(most one owner removed) but don't bother with long guns as they fairly obviously look antique.

You have to decide for yourself if the paper is worth being on an unofficial registry.
 
Unofficial registry means nothing to me, they can pound sand if they want to take them, "120 year old guns, oh the humanity". I already sold them anyway, so f**k off. Wanna waste your time tearing my house apart, go right ahead.

Watch out for the steamy coil I left in the mostly empty gun cabinet.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom