Linking antiques to (R)PAL's ?

Been discussed MANY times before. They ask for your PAL or RPAL number because it has all your details. That way they don't have to ask you 5 times to spell out your name and complete address.

Last time I called, the tech was very polite and asked if I had a license and, when I said I did, he asked if it would be ok with me to give him the number (by this, he implied the option not to).

Not EVERYTHING is a Liberal conspiracy, guys... some things are just common sense (like speeding up the process by sending all your letters to whatever address & info that's already attached to your license). The mere fact that your antiques are fully transferable within Canada and abroad negates whatever fear of an "unofficial and secret antiques' registry system" you might be having. Lighten up...

:cheers:
 
Been discussed MANY times before. They ask for your PAL or RPAL number because it has all your details. That way they don't have to ask you 5 times to spell out your name and complete address.

Last time I called, the tech was very polite and asked if I had a license and, when I said I did, he asked if it would be ok with me to give him the number (by this, he implied the option not to).

Not EVERYTHING is a Liberal conspiracy, guys... some things are just common sense (like speeding up the process by sending all your letters to whatever address & info that's already attached to your license). The mere fact that your antiques are fully transferable within Canada and abroad negates whatever fear of an "unofficial and secret antiques' registry system" you might be having. Lighten up...

:cheers:

Actually they do link antique firearms to your firearms license when you get the antique letter by applying online. I called to ask about an antique letter that I was waiting for. The tech looked it up on my PAL and asked is the Webley? The Colt? .... and so on, until she had listed all the antique firearms for which I have applied for a letter online.
 
Why are the CFC "techs" so determined to do so ? :(

Why are people so determined to call the cfc and ask for what amounts to a registration that isn't really registration? There is no obligation to get a letter from the RCMP, and the letter says right on it that it is "determined based on the information you supplied" so the letter isn't exactly worth much.
 
Why are people so determined to call the cfc and ask for what amounts to a registration that isn't really registration? There is no obligation to get a letter from the RCMP, and the letter says right on it that it is "determined based on the information you supplied" so the letter isn't exactly worth much.

Have you ever tried arguing with a clueless leftie SQ cop who sees your gun case and asks for registration certificates and license, government appointed firearms inspector at the range or a gun club owner who has never heard of 'antique guns' (that sometimes happen to look like they rolled off the assembly line last week and can fire modern-looking ammo)? How much do you think your word will be worth in such a situation? Sure, you will beat all charges laid against you and *probably* get your antiques back eventually... but why chance it?

Last time I went to the local handgun range, I had an argument with the owner who had no idea about 'antique status' firearms (and neither did any other staff in that place, apparently) and tried to tell me I was in possession of illegal firearms and that the SQ could end my life as I knew it, despite my arguments based entirely on articles from the Criminal Code as to the guns' legal status (apparently reading up on the Firearms Act is not one of their 'fortes' :rolleyes:). But the argument kind of died when I produced an official letter written by the Canadian authority on firearms that no one can contradict (the RCMP). He was dumbfounded and couldn't believe what he was reading, probably believing the letter was some sort of a forgery at first.... and remember that this was a guy who owns and runs a shooting club for over 20-something years, apparently! Surprised?

In short, I'll take my chances WITH the letter, because it's free, sums everything up in a nutshell, is written by the RCMP itself and pretty much expires the day it is issued (as they don't even know or care whether or not you have the antique gun in the first place - you might be thinking of importing one from another country and may change your mind later). And if anyone ever comes asking where my antiques are, they were ALL sold to an unknown gentleman who's a citizen of the United States of America for cash money at a gun show a few years ago, which is ALL legit. Have a nice day.

;)

Seriously guys... there are times for tin foil hats, but this is hardly one of those situations.


Actually they do link antique firearms to your firearms license when you get the antique letter by applying online. I called to ask about an antique letter that I was waiting for. The tech looked it up on my PAL and asked is the Webley? The Colt? .... and so on, until she had listed all the antique firearms for which I have applied for a letter online.

That really is of no consequence... see above for my point of view on what could be linked or not linked to my RPAL as far as antique letters are concerned. Any potential 'registry' (that's legally binding) expires on the same date and time that the letter is issued.

.
 
Last edited:
Have you ever tried arguing with a clueless leftie SQ cop who sees your gun case and asks for registration certificates and license, government appointed firearms inspector at the range or a gun club owner who has never heard of 'antique guns' (that sometimes happen to look like they rolled off the assembly line last week and can fire modern-looking ammo)? How much do you think your word will be worth in such a situation? Sure, you will beat all charges laid against you and *probably* get your antiques back eventually... but why chance it?

Last time I went to the local handgun range, I had an argument with the owner who had no idea about 'antique status' firearms (and neither did any other staff in that place, apparently) and tried to tell me I was in possession of illegal firearms and that the SQ could end my life as I knew it, despite my arguments based entirely on articles from the Criminal Code as to the guns' legal status (apparently reading up on the Firearms Act is not one of their 'fortes' :rolleyes:). But the argument kind of died when I produced an official letter written by the Canadian authority on firearms that no one can contradict (the RCMP). He was dumbfounded and couldn't believe what he was reading, probably believing the letter was some sort of a forgery at first.... and remember that this was a guy who owns and runs a shooting club for over 20-something years, apparently! Surprised?

In short, I'll take my chances WITH the letter, because it's free, sums everything up in a nutshell, is written by the RCMP itself and pretty much expires the day it is issued (as they don't even know or care whether or not you have the antique gun in the first place - you might be thinking of importing one from another country and may change your mind later). And if anyone ever comes asking where my antiques are, they were ALL sold to an unknown gentleman who's a citizen of the United States of America for cash money at a gun show a few years ago, which is ALL legit. Have a nice day.

;)

Seriously guys... there are times for tin foil hats, but this is hardly one of those situations.




That really is of no consequence... see above for my point of view on what could be linked or not linked to my RPAL as far as antique letters are concerned. Any potential 'registry' (that's legally binding) expires on the same date and time that the letter is issued.

.

I pretty much agree with everything you said, but lately I find I get a perverse pleasure from NOT going hat in hand and asking "pretty please" for the gun registry people to issue an antique letter. My choice. I DO carry 2 pages comprising the relevant sections of the Criminal Code and the transport regulations. And I carry a letter from a government verifier stating that a particular model of gun is deemed antique - Webley MKI, or MKII, among others, for instance. Accomplishes exactly the same thing that the antique letter does. Even better is a copy of the relevant FRT.

I don't mean that the antique letter is in itself bad or will lead to confiscation or enforced registration later. Although that is most certainly a possibility, it could not be enforced if you have sold the antique before they come knocking on the door. Maybe it is tinfoil hat thinking but as far as I'm concerned it's none of their f**king business.

I think it's dirty and underhanded of the registry folks to give you a letter telling you that you don't need to register your antique, and then use that information as a defacto registration. Just pisses me off and so i choose to do it my way just to piss them off. Maybe it's a western thing, but I don't like to deal with conniving a**holes.
 
Last edited:
tried to tell me I was in possession of illegal firearms and that the SQ could end my life as I knew it, despite my arguments based entirely on articles from the Criminal Code as to the guns' legal status

In my experience it is best to avoid people who assume the worst of you. If he really thought you were in possession of illegal handguns at his range why did'nt he clam up, stroll away and phone the SQ???? Surely range operators are not in the habit of arguing with gangsters carrying large illegal revolvers. LOL.

It always comes down to the fact that people who assume you are carrying an illegal 6 shooter probabley could imagine you forging a letter.

762 you gotta get out of that province or at least find a hunk of the lower St Lawrence R or some northern oasis.
 
I think it's dirty and underhanded of the registry folks to give you a letter telling you that you don't need to register your antique, and then use that information as a defacto registration. Just pisses me off and so i choose to do it my way just to piss them off. Maybe it's a western thing, but I don't like to deal with conniving a**holes.

I agree with you... but I also believe that they can at least issue me a free letter after we've been collectively FORCED to invest $2.2 billion of our tax dollars into that registry system. Once again, the letter is free (from an end-user perspective anyway, as in a way we're all paying for it) and not legally binding... and I don't see it as 'begging', rather as a taxpayer demanding service from a government organization that's supposed to serve us all. I know... wishful thinking, eh?! ;)


In my experience it is best to avoid people who assume the worst of you. If he really thought you were in possession of illegal handguns at his range why did'nt he clam up, stroll away and phone the SQ???? Surely range operators are not in the habit of arguing with gangsters carrying large illegal revolvers. LOL.

It always comes down to the fact that people who assume you are carrying an illegal 6 shooter probabley could imagine you forging a letter.

762 you gotta get out of that province or at least find a hunk of the lower St Lawrence R or some northern oasis.

I'm no longer a member of said club and I don't plan to renew my membership there. Any place which has operated for over 20 years and doesn't have a clue about basic Firearms Act provisions is just plain dangerous, as they seem to be completely lost in space when it comes to legalities of (at least) gun ownership and storage. I say storage as well, because the guy also argued that non-restricted rifles need to be trigger locked even when stored inside a locked vault, otherwise the SQ will apparently seize them all and throw me in jail, lol! And he happens to be their main instructor... :rolleyes: As for leaving the province, I still have a few things going on that I'd need to finish off before I am free to decide if and where to move. I'm just trying to cover all my bases for the time being, which should take another 2 years or less.


I did try to search...:redface:...please link to a thread ? :yingyang:

I know it's there, because I've replied to similar threads a few times already with the same points of view... let me look and get back to you on that.

EDIT: Ok, here's the latest one (I think)... but there were others before that one as well: http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php?t=514173

(It's a topic that just won't go away, lol!) :D
 
Are you allowed to take antique pistols out with you hunting?

It really depends on you provincial hunting regulations. There's a sticky in this forum called "Concealed carry and animal defense in the bush", or something like that. It will give you some things to think about.
 
Back
Top Bottom