Loaded up my .45-60 cartridges tonight (photo)

Win 38-55

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Thought some of you fellows who appreciate obsolete cartridges would enjoy this photo. My shipment of forty .45-60 brass arrived a couple weeks ago from Rocky Mountain Cartridge. Tonight, I finally got them all loaded. They are for my original Winchester Model 1876, shipped in 1886. There's something about these fat .45-60 cartridges that makes them one of my favorite. My load of 26.2 grains of 5744 under the 300 grain cast GC bullet gives 1,337 fps with an E.S. of 9 fps and an S.D. of 4 fps. The smaller cartridges in the belt are for my old S&W 2nd Model American top break .44 Russian.

45-60-stash.jpg
 
Last edited:
What sort of loads have you been using in the smith in 44 russian I like the pics with the
Mexican blanket adds a nice nostalgic apeal . Well if my spelling ain't so good stupid new computer my spell check isn't working yet it's my fault just not that good with this SH_T.
 
dandy gun leather there too 38-55...I love the old school iron and long ago rounds.

Dez-4gr of green dot under a 240gr cast bullet are my everyday 44rusky loads,and that's a saddle blanket I'm thinkin...
 
Blue Dot is a very good powder to use for BP cartridges, with a peak pressure spike pretty much the same as BP all other things being equal. 5744 is a bit lower.
 
It cost me an arm and a leg. The prices have gone up. For a box of 20, it was $US 52. After conversion, plus shipping my credit card bill said $157.94 for two boxes of 20 each. Then I had to pay about $20 at the post office for tax and brokerage. So 40 brass cost me about $178 or $4.45 each. On the other hand, they are machined to proper '76 spec, properly headstamped, annealed, and they should last a long time. I've made my own out of 45-70 brass and having done that, I decided I'd prefer to buy them from Rocky Mountain Cartridge.
 
Let him know ahead of time so he'll have them ready. He's a bit backlogged, but if he knows you'll be there anyway, he may try and have them ready for you. You'll save shipping, tax, and brokerage.
 
WE CARRY THIS CALIBER and others drop by at
>>>> http://www.marstar.ca/ammo-etc/new-brass.shtm

German manufactured, properly headstamped etc....
Loading data here >>>> http://www.marstar.ca/gf-Chaparral/Ballistic.shtm

JOHN
Those prices are excellent compared to getting them from the US! Wish I'd have known Marstar carries these. If they are German manufactured, they are probably pretty nice brass. Do you ship to the US? There are a lot of fellows I know in the US who might want to place an order if you ship to the US.
 
That is a fantastic rifle and S&W combo. The Winchester is a great rifle but it seems so much more interesting with those short fat old style cartridges. Great photo with the saddle blanket and leathers.
 
It cost me an arm and a leg. The prices have gone up. For a box of 20, it was $US 52. After conversion, plus shipping my credit card bill said $157.94 for two boxes of 20 each. Then I had to pay about $20 at the post office for tax and brokerage. So 40 brass cost me about $178 or $4.45 each. On the other hand, they are machined to proper '76 spec, properly headstamped, annealed, and they should last a long time. I've made my own out of 45-70 brass and having done that, I decided I'd prefer to buy them from Rocky Mountain Cartridge.


Buffalo couldnt do you better deal?
 
Back
Top Bottom