So I've decided after owning my 45-70 Sharps for a couple of years I better get shooting it.
I have Goex FFg and FFFg on hand, powder compressing die, 24" drop tube, and 45 cal 0.030" and 0.060" poly wads along with some 500 grain 20:1 bullets.
So my questions are:
How does one "weigh" a powder charge? Looking through a few books I have on hand it appears to be a volumetric charge? I've read to fill up the case with powder and accounting for the wad and bullet to have no powder space?
Any correlation between volumetric and weight?
In hindsight not sure why I bought the poly wads? It appears vegetable fibre wads are used to aid in lubrication? Any harm in using the poly wads until I pick up some veg wads?
Thanks in advance......more questions to come

I have Goex FFg and FFFg on hand, powder compressing die, 24" drop tube, and 45 cal 0.030" and 0.060" poly wads along with some 500 grain 20:1 bullets.
So my questions are:
How does one "weigh" a powder charge? Looking through a few books I have on hand it appears to be a volumetric charge? I've read to fill up the case with powder and accounting for the wad and bullet to have no powder space?
Any correlation between volumetric and weight?
In hindsight not sure why I bought the poly wads? It appears vegetable fibre wads are used to aid in lubrication? Any harm in using the poly wads until I pick up some veg wads?
Thanks in advance......more questions to come


















































