loads for a 60 cal smoothbore derringer?

H Wally

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
193   0   0
Wondering if anyone has a suggested starting load for an antique .60 cal percussion derringer? Gun will be shooting round ball, though I suppose shot might be worth a try.



Frankly I've never worked out loads for anything past .50 cal and never for a pistol, so not sure what would be a good recommended starting load. I'm fine with working up a load, just figured I'd see if anyone has suggestions to save a couple mins of workup.
 
Last edited:
I've used as little as 5gr FFg in a 45 rifle and could probably drop it to half that and still clear the barrel as long as the flash can find the powder.

On the upper end it really depends on the structural integrity of the gun in question. Knowing nothing about it I would say 30-40gr would be a nice plinking load. A short barrel probably wouldn't burn much more powder than that anyway and the extra just becomes part of the projectile mass adding nothing but more muzzle flash and smoke.
 
I've used as little as 5gr FFg in a 45 rifle and could probably drop it to half that and still clear the barrel as long as the flash can find the powder.

On the upper end it really depends on the structural integrity of the gun in question. Knowing nothing about it I would say 30-40gr would be a nice plinking load. A short barrel probably wouldn't burn much more powder than that anyway and the extra just becomes part of the projectile mass adding nothing but more muzzle flash and smoke.

Fair enough - it is something of an unanswerable question :p You make a good point on the short barrel not being able to burn much powder - I get the distinct impression this gun relied a large amount on the mass of the ball over everything else :p

I use 10 to 15 grs in my .50 cal cannon replica with a 6" barrel and bare round ball.

Hmm - and have you noticed if you're getting a complete burn from it? Is it maintaining any appreciable velocity and accuracy past 10 yards?
 
Firing it over snow will tell you if you are just blowing unburnt powder out the muzzle, which I think is a real possibility. As for range and accuracy, I am guessing that the Derringer was most effective as a contact weapon, range zero. Please understand that everything I just wrote is BS, I have never shot a derringer...I'm often wrong, but never uncertain. Merry Xmas, everyone!!!!!
 
from what I remember of the photo, I suspect 20 - 30 grains would be plenty, if it is the pocket pistol. The screw barrel i would think more in the range of 5 - 15 grains. With a large diameter like 60 cal, there is a lot of volume to fill with hot gasses. I don't think you would gain anything by going over 30 grains as well as I don't recall the barrel being all that thick to start with. Impressive as the bore is, the ball will not penetrate far because it has a lot of surface area. I remember firing one about 58 cal I think, at point blank range into a piece of cedar and only 1/2 of the ball stuck in the wood

cheers mooncoon
 
Back
Top Bottom